Ebay can kiss it!!!

How much sell for?being interested in selling small stuff one day ...what is their cut?................................. Small stuff maybe not as bad..anyone got experience selling stuff on eBay? Mostly small stuff

How much sell for?being interested in selling small stuff one day ...what is their cut?................................. Small stuff maybe not as bad..anyone got experience selling stuff on eBay? Mostly small stuff
Their cut is 10% and of course PayPal snags their 3% so after its all said and done 13% of final sell price.

Their cut is 10% and of course PayPal snags their 3% so after its all said and done 13% of final sell price.
They also 10% on the shipping fees!
Yes it is "hit". 10 % across the board. Especially when its not addressed in the initial add setup information. It was a frustration when they hit me the first time and they are taking a cut on shipping too. I charge actual shipping on the first few sales and then I got the Ebay invoice. Took me half an hour to find a phone number to call at Ebay but I called and got the answers about the charges. And they were just like I was charged.... After that I added a little cushion to the shipping to cover the difference.

Pay pal is no fee for "Friends & Family". I don't think that will be around for long either. It gets abused a lot and they are not blind to it.

I have never sold a vehicle on Ebay but I wonder if they get 10% of that too????? That could be a chunk. The last thing I sold on Ebay of any size was my Honda FL350 Odyssey nearly 20 years ago. That thing was a lot of fun but I just didn't have any place to really ride it... Always wanted a Pilot to replace it but they are even harder to find...

Doug

Last edited:
Depends on what you are selling, for some collectables that 10% gets you a worldwide audience. I know here there are lots of poor musicians and there is lots of high end guitars and amps that sell cheap on craigslist, same item on ebay gets a lot more. Just besides the commission there is the hassle of shipping.

markus

If your going to sell a bike and its definitely going over $600 you list it in vehicles, not the parts section. its a flat fee of $60 if it pulls under like 2500. And since it does apply to some mini bikes, If its 50cc and under its only like a $10 flat fee, don't cheat on that though. If you do 6 sales within a years time your flat fee drops and stays with you while you are a seller in good standing. I've done rollers that way as well as complete running bikes.

They dont offer the shipping option in vehicles section though, so if you are willing to ship you have to state that in the listing, and do that separate, just send an invoice. ti does not apply to ebay fees though so that helps. they will charge you for flat out for added things though, like buy it now, and reserve price etc..

Last edited:

capguncowboy

If your going to sell a bike and its definitely going over $600 you list it in vehicles, not the parts section. its a flat fee of $60 if it pulls under like 2500. And since it does apply to some mini bikes, If its 50cc and under its only like a $10 flat fee, don't cheat on that though. If you do 6 sales within a years time your flat fee drops and stays with you while you are a seller in good standing. I've done rollers that way as well as complete running bikes.

They dont offer the shipping option in vehicles section though, so if you are willing to ship you have to state that in the listing, and do that separate, just send an invoice. ti does not apply to ebay fees though so that helps. they will charge you for flat out for added things though, like buy it now, and reserve price etc..
The cut off for the $60 fee for eBay motors is $2000, then the fee goes up to $125. That bonanza i just sold brought all of that into light.

I honestly don't mind the fee on eBay most of the time. There have been times that it hurt more than others but most of the time, i come out ahead a good 25%, so its worth it.

Last edited:
I quit selling on there a long time ago. Way too many scam artist buyers abusing the system. Ebay will side with the buyer to the point I don't even think they bother reading anything from a seller.

The 10% shipping fee is because everybody was selling a $50 item for $5 reserve and $45 shipping.

I quit selling on there a long time ago. Way too many scam artist buyers abusing the system. Ebay will side with the buyer to the point I don't even think they bother reading anything from a seller.

The 10% shipping fee is because everybody was selling a $50 item for $5 reserve and $45 shipping.
Not trying to disagree but..... About 12 years ago I bought an Oakworks massage table. My part time profession... This was the second Oakworks I bought off of Ebay. The first table was $50.00 shipping from AZ. The second table was from the Midwest somewhere. The seller had no idea what shipping would cost. I told them that everybody was shipping them for $50.00 or a little less and to check all the other auctions to see what people are charging. Well I won the auction and the big dumby took it to the UPS store.... Don't do that, what a rip off. They charged $174.00 to ship it. Charged for over weight, oversized and packaging. They didn't even package it themselves... They paid it and sent it then wanted me to pay the balance on the shipping. They should have sent a message about the cost and discussed it first but noooooo..... I told them that I would take it to a UPS Service center and what ever they said it would cost to ship it back to them I would pay the difference over the $50.00 that I paid to start with. Well the Service center quoted me $48 and change to ship it back and said it was not overweight or oversized. So they left negative feed back for me. I had hundreds of transactions and they had 6..... I protested to Ebay but they would not even acknowledge that it was vengeful feedback and totally undeserved as I had paid the auction amount as the agreement states. I guess after so long it drops off because it has been gone for 7 or 8 years. I have had 100% again for years and years. I have thought a hole lot less of the Ebay system as a hole ever since. Somebody is getting rich and it aint none of us.....

Doug

Im just here to say I love Ebay :) Made a hell of alot of money that I wouldnt have anywhere else. I agree 10% is a bit high. But you more than make up for it if you pay for postage on ebay. I just sold a vw part that iv had on craigslist for $30. all winter. Sold it for $170. on ebay in a week. You cant beat the worldwide exposure and the fact that it goes to the highest bidder. Shipping is the killer youve got to know the best ways to ship and keep costs low or you are going to be in the red.

dont feel bad i just got banged from a guy on ebay sold me a head and all the goodies push rods gaskits said the he cuts the at 80 thou. i told to cut it 50 thou and he said use the push rods he sent well i put the head on and put it on my run in set up and it bent a valve pushed the guide out.so he said to send it back and he would fix it so i sent the broke with one of mine because i wanted to make that it wasnt cut again . now the guy wants me to pay him 120 plus ship.so he has both of my heads and e bay wont do any to get my stuff back. so i got banged for 350 bucks. aint that nice dont buy from this guy all you have to do is look for the purple light that he lights his junck up with. and he is got alot of hemi stuff on there i cant say his name yet.cause pay pal is trying to get my cash back.he is from kentucky.. good luck and watch out.

Im just here to say I love Ebay :) Made a hell of alot of money that I wouldnt have anywhere else. I agree 10% is a bit high. But you more than make up for it if you pay for postage on ebay. I just sold a vw part that iv had on craigslist for $30. all winter. Sold it for $170. on ebay in a week. You cant beat the worldwide exposure and the fact that it goes to the highest bidder. Shipping is the killer youve got to know the best ways to ship and keep costs low or you are going to be in the red.
I agree. I have been buying and selling for years and have made nice money and also some great bargains.