electric start engine

What would be a good electric start engine to use for my mini bikes ? I have COPD and I try to start my minis but after a few pulls I'm out of breath and give up. I never ride my minis but I would like to.

markus

I bought one of these recently ( I actually think its this one that was on ebay because the box condition but I bought from another person)

I had to try it on an engine, after a cleaning an re greasing as the 50 year old grease had hardened up it spun an H35 over really good actually. I don't know what type of battery would be a good candidate for it though, I just used my battery charger on a 40 amp charge setting. Its a little wider than a kick start is and I would say best suited on maybe a forward peg frame with a jackshaft and multi slots so you could slide the engine over and even it all out. The cup they came with is for earlier engines though with the wider shrouds, I had to use a 2 stroke cup to try it out on the mini bike era engine.

Rick,
Just curious, why are the engines taking so many pulls (and wearing you out) to get them started? They should be 1-2 pulls max.
Michael

You could invest in a tuneup. :shrug: New NGK plug, fresh gas. Even my junk starts in one or two pulls.

Maybe try a thinner oil that's not so hard to pull over? Not too thin... Maybe 10w30. ?

Electric start and onboard battery is going to add a lot of weight and complication. :confused: Then you have to keep the battery charged between rides. I wouldn't want the aggravation.

If they would start in 1 or 2 pulls I'd be ok. I don't have one that will do that. I don't know why. I'm no mechanic.
If you have the capability and desire to learn, maybe we can help you to get them starting much easier. It might not be that much work and it would certainly be cheaper than putting electric starts on all of them...
Michael

capguncowboy

I'm going to ask for help. I should be capable of learning, I have a lot of bikes and none that run.
Rick, Dr Shop Teacher (pete) is up near you. I'm sure he'd be happy to show you how to fix/repair your engines, or maybe just do it for a fee. They seem overwhelming when you look at all the info and moving parts, but once you do one or two, they're pretty simple machines.

The wind-up starters for Tecumseh engines might be of help, but they won't do any good if the engine isn't running properly.