Endeavor with my '70 Rupp

Anyone have any input on the jackshaft.. I backed it up against a wall and sat on it and had a pipe wrench on the end of the sprocket collar and I got it to turn a tiny bit more but the bearing on the driven side still pops out. Is that why you needed the shim Markus? :shrug:

Installed the nipple in the front wheel, put the tire strap on, and used the round end of an adjustable wrench to get the tire back on. I figured since there weren't any sharp edges I wouldn't have a problem. but after fighting it for a good half hour I got a front wheel that also doesn't hold air. My dumb mistakes cost me so much money... So thats $20 down the drain so far, since I blew the rear tube by putting the tire on with a screw driver. Guess I'll go get a tire spoon and ANOTHER new tube and try yet again. And if I screw it up a third time I guess I'll pay a scooter shop the $100 they want to install tubes. :doah: :facepalm:

As for the Jackshaft I guess I'll take everything apart again and see if it's corrosion that won't let me get it tight. After that I'm at a standstill till my damn wheels are done.

so much for having it rideable this weekend. :doah:

A hundred bucks???? Tire store might do it cheaper.:shrug:
yeah $50 per wheel if I'm remembering correctly. I think it's just their way of saying "we don't have time to help you out kid".. because that was supposedly the ONLY motorcycle/scooter shop that did tire changes apparently. I called up about 5 or 6 of them and got a lotta "we don't do that here's".. I hate Charlotte county so much. :doah:

I'd do it at school but the rim is too small for the tire machines, I can fit it on 1 out of 4 but only for taking it off. I can take another look around and see.

Last edited:
Yeah, you can buy some spoons cheaper for sho!

Offer to sweep the cycle shop. For use of their spoons.:thumbsup:
there's an idea, I probably just break down and buy one though, because chances are I'm gonna need it in the future.

on another note I have more bad news I took the jackshaft apart and found that the bearing on the sprocket side is completely destroyed. the inner race seems to be tapered from over tightening. its got a hard tapered edge where it looks like the spacer collar pressed into it too hard, and the rubber seal that covers the balls is out of it's slot. when I push it all together there's about a 1/2" gap between everything. so thats why my jack shaft wont tighten. I don't think I could have done that to the bearing just with a socket wrench so it was either from 30 years of abuse or someone REALLY wanted to get this jackshaft on. I dunno, it worked before I took it apart. :no:

I cant seem to get the stupid locking pin out of the sprocket so whatever, I've heard better things about the updated jackshaft with the threaded sprocket so I'll just order one of those to relieve my headache..

Now I'm afraid to work on it cause I'll probably find more stuff broken. :hammer: :no:

hey guys, haven't updated this tread in awhile so I thought I'd update the latest news..

Ended up not buying the new style jackshaft, just got a new bearing and bolted everything back up. Started putting the bike back together and noticed a few more set backs. First off my front wheel is bent like hell, probably from the spoke nipple falling out in my garage somewhere, I'm split between just trying that ol' rusty wheel or just buying a new one to run on it. Either way I gotta do something before I can set up the front drum. Next one is that my rear brake is no longer working, I'm not sure why since It was functioning when I took it off like two years ago, So i'll have to go through the headache of adjusting that sometimes this century as well.

My biggest concern is my engine though, I took it down the road being easy on the throttle and it died when I stopped and wouldn't start again until it was cold. I also noticed that in trying to start it after it stalls there doesn't seem to be any kickback. Last time I tried to start it she blew out a big puff of smoke from my carb and I haven't messed with it since. I think one of my problems is the fact that I cut the lip completely off the head when I was building it and from what I've read the compression is too excessive. Another thought is that I have a mild performance cam with stock springs. The cam doesn't add any lift but holds the valves open longer than a stock cam. So I was thinking maybe the valves are heating up and not seating properly. But then again I only went down the road for at the most 4-5 minutes before she stalled out. Another thing to note is that I was able to run the engine with no problems before I hooked up the drive system. I just thought I'd pick some more experienced members' brains before I dug in and fixed something that wasn't broken.

In case anyone missed it, I'm running:

Billet arc rod, lifters, and arc flywheel with advanced timing.
Comp cam with longer valve lift duration
overly high compression head
Tec H70 carb
Short angled header

thanks guys, and stay tuned, It's been two years but I'll get this thing done one day. :facepalm:

Well I just figured one thing out.. I was playing around with the carb and got her to the lowest possible idle and the belt was chugging really bad and if I got off the bike the rear end was lifting up and the tire spun while i was still on the stand. :blink:

So first things first I need a heavier spring in my driver, I'll pick one up next paycheck.

still doesn't explain why i couldn't get her started again in the past, but she didn't stall on me today so I don't really know.. I guess ill get the spring, adjust it some more and play it by year. :shrug:

Thanks Fat Boy, I think I've got just about everything I need it's just a matter of putting it all back together. I couldn't have gotten this far without your help so I can't thank you enough.

I got the rear brake working today, turns out the square drive on the cam was stripped so bad I couldn't put the lever in the right posistion. Luckily I kept the original drum assembly with the broken cable holder and the cam in that was in perfect condition.. took it all apart and rebuilt it and the rear works flawlessly. So I decided to finish setting up the throttle control to take her for a test run...

So I go to start her up and she turns over twice, shuts off harshly and plastic goes flying all over the place... there goes pulley #3.. my luck just gets better and better I swear.. :hammer:

The only real things I gotta take care of before shes road worthy is my bent front rim and the "hot rod" TC spring.. other than that it's just minor adjustments.