Engine dies when letting off of gas

Np02

I like my ruttman bike but have not been able to properly enjoy it for quite some time due to the engine (predator 212) always giving me issues. I've had a couple of ongoing issues come up that I have ironed out however for almost a year it has had the same issue that I've been to ignorant to know how to fix. Once it's warmed up for a couple of minutes, if I give it anything more than about 3/4 throttle it will shut down once I let off. It will continuously run fine at 3/4 and above as long as I leave it but once I let off it poops out. It doesn't do it when I'm putting around on it at a slower pace so I have no idea what the problem is and it could very well be something easy that I haven't tried yet. If it helps to point to anything it has had some "back firing" issues in the past - maybe timing related? I'd be willing to get a new engine if I have to but I'd rather work with what I've got until its craps the bed.

While it could be a timing issue, it may be the springs in the governor are missing or in the wrong holes. When you let off the gas, the throttle plate is not allowed to recover and keep the engine running at idle speed. The governor will "sense" the engine is going to die and it open the throttle on it's own to keep the engine running.

If it backfires off throttle you may have an air leak at the header/engine junction or your pilot could be too small. I had backfiring on the stock carb after some mods a couple years ago and ended up slightly reaming out the pilot and this fixed it. Maybe this will fix both problems.