English Wheel Build

Finally got caught up and back on the wheel... Wow, just a couple of days short of 5 months since I started this...

Seems that everything has pushed it back and back until this week. I got it out of the shop and started sanding on it Wednesday. More sanding on Thursday. Friday I dropped a piece of 3'' x 5'' x 1/4'' x 10' steel on my foot... Saturday I hobbled around an sanded on it all day. The wife helping is the only reason I got finished sanding and ready for paint. Got it painted and called it a day. This morning I went out and prepped the final pieces for paint. Took some pics and am waiting on the pieces to dry. More pics when I get it assembled.

Last edited:
You just have to love Rustoleum rattle can paint. Its a shot in the dark it seems like anymore. Either its great or its spit and sputter..... No matter how much you shake it and shake it and shake it.

The paint on the wheel frame is awful. The can decided to spit and sputter on the last coat. So now its wait for it to harden for a few more days and them sand it smooth and spray it again. Fun, Fun, Fun...

Look at the above pic of the spoked adjuster and you can see the mess... Probably take some Lacquer thinner and just wipe the small parts clean.

On a much better note. I picked up a new and much needed tool last night in an online auction. A Pexto slip roll. One more piece to the "making fenders" puzzle. Its rated for 22 gauge full width but will roll 20 gauge at minibike fender widths. Probably would even roll 18 gauge at that width using deep draw steel. It has the most awful blue paint job on it. Yuck. Like I needed, another strip it and paint it job.

Last edited:
Hot tip! What i do when my spray can starts to spit and sputter i use my air compressor with blow nozzle on it and blow some air into it and they work like new.

Just good old fabrication with box tubing.

I have been wanting a full sized English Wheel for a long long time.... Like 30 years.... Got a few extra unexpected dollars and bought a kit from Metal Ace.

44F U-Weld English Wheel Kit – MetalAce English Wheels & Metal Shaping Tools

I got lucky and found a guy selling a new kit that he had bought in 2000 or 2001 but never assembled. Saved $550.00. This guy had a Planishing Hammer and a Pulmax for sale as well. I sure would love to have the Pulmax but its the same old story... Don't have the extra funds, $18,000.00 plus the shipping. Its amazing what you can do with a Pullmax. The list of what you cant do would be way shorter.

Then I had to buy the steel and boy has that price gone up.... $300.00 for 3 sticks.

1 stick of 4'' X 3'' X 1/4'' for the main frame.

1 stick of 2'' X 3'' X 3/16'' for the stiffeners.

1 stick of 2'' X 2'' X 1/8'' for the legs.

I never buy less than a stick as it is just as cheap unless they have a drop and you just need a short piece. I am going to lay this out and assemble it on the chassis jig table at school. Take advantage of the flat stable surface to clamp to and weld on. I should be able to get most of this done this week if not all.

Pics coming.

Doug

Anybody here have a wheel? I have a hand held wheel that I have been using for years and man it is a big help. Here is a pic.

Where did you find that hand held English wheel? Thanks.