Exhausted my knowledge....Super Bronc vt-8 is now at small engine repair shop !

Hello Everyone,

Well, I gave it my best shot...I had lot's of help from folks here on the OldMiniBikes, and I thank you very much for all the help..:thumbsup:.... and although I'd vowed to make this thing run without taking it to the small engine repair shop...:laugh:....after my installing new points, new condenser, then electronic ingition chip, lighted flywheel loose magnet repair, multiple stock carburetor cleaning/rebuilds, then a new OEM tecumseh carburetor......I have......exhausted my knowledge....:shrug:....and my Super Bronc vt-8 is now officially at the small engine repair shop..... :doah: !

Here it is in the parking lot of the shop...

Maybe now the mystery (to me) will be solved, and I'll finally get to ride my super bronc.....:scooter:

Your carburetor is on backwards......
jk
:laugh:
LOL...:laugh:...I hope it's something stupid like that....

I'm just looking forward to riding it.

Now that i've resigned myself to the fact that I could not get it going myself...:doah:..I feel good about the fact that it's finally somewhere, where someone who is completely skilled in small engine repair can diagnose and fix it !..:thumbsup:...!

My super bronc is supposed to be my parade and trail bike in Windber.

I plan on hauling one of my kids on it with me, and my wife and other child will be riding on my boonie bike !

....time seems to be moving very fast as Windber approaches..:hammer:..so I thought it was in my best interest to get it on to the shop before they get covered up with all the spring mower repairs.

My second thought was Cloning it, but did not want to commit sacrilidge (sp ?)...anyway I came to my senses..:laugh:.. and said...repair...not replace.

Last edited:
I rode my VT-8 Super Bronc for the first time today !

Hello Folks,

I rode my VT-8 Super Bronc for the first time today !:scooter:!

Yes, you read that right....it runs !!!! and I am soo happy about it...:laugh:

Marc from the small engine repair shop call's me this morning saying he'd replaced the fuel pump, and was happy with the way the carb (new OEM) was getting gas...but he was perplexed by the way it would, and would not spark, even after removing the nova II chip, and sanding and resetting the new points ??...so he asked if I still had the old points (which i'd mentioned to him that i should have), and could I bring them to him.

I took them to him immediately....thinking he wanted to look at them for something.

He wanted to look at them alright....installed that it is !!...he replaced my new points with the old points, set them, and wallah .... she runs !!

He calls me back shortly there after telling me the motor runs fine, and he's just looking at the band break setup as it keeps sticking.

Mark tells me to give him 45 minutes or so, to button it up, and then it would be ready to pick up....and he'd be working up the bill also.

Well I was about as excited as a kid at Christmas to get to ride my mini bike, but was nervous about what to expect for a price for all his work...because it sounded like he'd put in 4 or 5 hours labor total, plus a fuel pump, and new pull cord. (plus I found out he adjusted/modd'ed my band break to keep from grabbing as bad, and adjusted my kickstand...could not have been happier.)

I call him up on the way, to see how much cash to bring, and now it really felt like Christmas when he says;... well the fuel pump was $18, and the pull cord was 3$, and is $80 ok for my labor, for a total of $101 ??

I'm like oh yeah !!.... I don't know about you all, but around here up to this point I didn't like the small engine repair shops around here because they charged a minimum of $43 an hour !! so this was like a major value to me....now my Windber parade bike is running !

I gave him $120 and told him to keep the change, that I appreciated what he did for me, and that I look forward to bringing him my next project !

Me and my 4 year old son Cadman took it for a test ride around the driveway and yard at the shop, and this bike earned my respect immediately....I've never ridden a mini bike before that felt like my weight, plus my passengers weight affected it at all ! un - flippin - real !!

This evening after work, we put our helmets on and I took Cadman on a ride through where they are widening our main road from 2 to 5 lanes, where they'd cleared all the trees but had major dips, bumps, and mud holes.....we had a blast !! Done things on a mini that I never knew a mini could do...never experienced this kind of power on a mini....ever.

Then when my 9 year old duaghter Atalaya got home, I took her for a ride too......once again, it felt like the motor could have pulled 3 more people on there !!

Thanks for everyone's help and encouragement,

Robert

Great to hear you got it running Robert!! Sounds like your local shop is honest and very skilled.
Thank you Owen, me too.

I feel good about this new (to me) repair shop, and would feel fine taking him anything I have... :thumbsup:....that is after I've researched the crud out of it, and wasted a bunch of time and driven myself crazy trying to figure it out and.... :shrug:....oh...wait a minute....that sounds like what I did with my super bronc :laugh: :doah::laugh:

I'm glad I have a new dependable repair shop !!! :thumbsup:

thats awesome you got it running, the 100 spent sounds like it was well spent since it cured the running issue and the frustration.
Get the new points and look at them. somewhere when the were opening and closing, they obviously would ground out somehow.

delray

yes, that is awesome to have a guy like that. he was a big help to you and very fair price,,,:thumbsup:
see you at windber.....:scooter:

thats awesome you got it running, the 100 spent sounds like it was well spent since it cured the running issue and the frustration.
Get the new points and look at them. somewhere when the were opening and closing, they obviously would ground out somehow.
Thanks. Definately was worth it, glad to have him as a new resource...picked my daughter up at the bus stop on the super bronc yesterday afternoon, and she was grinning !

yes, that is awesome to have a guy like that. he was a big help to you and very fair price,,,:thumbsup:
see you at windber.....:scooter:
Thanks, I feel even better about the 100 spent w/ everyones encouragement...when i start something, i just hate to give up...but next time will take it to Mark sooner.

Can't wait for Windber, now i have something that can actually make it up to the trails !! :laugh:

buckeye

This is such a great story and is another example of why I hang out on here.
The excitement of your first ride is priceless. There isn't too much that is more fullfilling than riding a fresh bike for the first time.:thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing Robert. This made ne smile.:smile:

This is such a great story and is another example of why I hang out on here.
The excitement of your first ride is priceless. There isn't too much that is more fullfilling than riding a fresh bike for the first time.:thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing Robert. This made ne smile.:smile:
You are welcome Buckeye. Thank you for your interest !

I've ridden it every day but one since I got it back last week.

Today I took the Super Bronc out during my lunch break......and inadvertantly found out what folks are talking about when they said "the front end comes off the ground easily" :laugh: :eek: :laugh:

Hey...sometimes I think this Super Bronc wants to be a road bike !...man it likes to fly...took my longest ride yet yesterday evening (just after I cleaned it up good- pics to come).

Any way while riding, I notice my brakes locked up a number of times when applied ?? curious result of a good wash job I thought..:shrug:...but hauled a@@ on :laugh:

.... got back within 2 blocks of the house, and when applying the brakes, they locked up again...this time when I went to give it gas, it would not engage the drive system...looked down, and the dang assembly for the transmission has come apart where the band brake and all that is...looked on the motor mount and find the end bolt, the 5/8" bearing w/ collar, and the 1/4" spacer...grabbed them, ran home and got my four year old son, and the piano dolly to put the rear wheel on (as it would not roll w/ the jackshaft all offset)...rolled it home...studied my schematic, and now realize I am missing the 1/4" lock washer, and the 5/8" thin washer !!

Hopping on one of the bicycles now to ride over and 'hunt' the two missing pieces....I sure hope they are near where my brakes locked up...as it was riding ok up to that point w/ the exception of the breaks locking up a couple times..the drive train would engage fine.

Last edited:
Wow...I found the 5/8" thin washer. And am glad I did, as I think it would have been the most difficult of the two to source.

I walked the entire area from where the drive train would not engage, to home, and did not see the 1/4" lock washer.

I think i'll source it from the hardware, then try to put this assembly back together.