FACT:Airplane stripper is the devil. FACT:my mini Baja is driving me BONKERS! Help?

I am a small girl, in a small world, with a small bike that has huge issues! Apparently I'm an idiot because I don't know what breed, I mean model Mini Bike I have. Does it really matter? Maybe to some people. Anyway, not sure exactly. Dude acted like if I was wrong, it was suddenly going to belong to him! Nope. Whatever. So I put this nice expensive bright red paint on her, cruised the town with matching lipstick and bandanna, fun. Next day, didn't wanna go red so I decided to get rid of some layers underneath. (I change my mind a lot, okay??) nightmare! My mistake was leaving it on overnight, I know, but I did. So, here I am 3 cans of stripper later, still scraping. Son of a $!:mad:! Never again. But I'm super creative, and have an idea. Pics to come...
But, I sprayed the frame, wires, skin- not good. Had to totally take it apart. Nightmare! A week later, here I am. With questions, and pics that may be upside down, or sideways, or maybe I need more. Ugh....the stripper got on the brakes. So, took me off, cleaned em and I'm not sure how much pad is supposed to be there? Am I good? Took the jackshaft apart to clean and whatever, it broke. Just snapped. Had it welded once, and it was totally off, so he re-welded it, and the holes line up, but my finger fits in between the bracket and the thingy. At an angle even.... He suggested I weld it straight to the frame... Ideas on that? The belt tensioner is (fill in the blank.) I think it's wore out. It's noisy, it bolts on kind of loose, it seems like. Can I ditch it? Or do I have to replace it? (Small wallet over here too!) I'm also curious about bearings. Is the one on the brake cylinder supposed to turn? All of them in general, how do you know when they are bad? And this muffler! Every pair or jeans and shorts I own have a hole, burned through in the same spot! Trying to figure out the best way run a pipe out the back.... Out of the muffler, or directly off the engine? Anyone know if they sell just the piece for the bottom of the seat to bolt it on? Mines about worn out, can't get anything on the other side of it to hold the bolt when I tighten the nut. Aw hell, who needs a seat?? Haha Open to suggestions and ideas for sure! This is my only form of transportation and it's only been on the streets. Weird though lately I can drive it a mile down the road, and it will stall out. Won't start for nothing, can't smell fuel, nothing.... But after about 5-8 minutes cool off, cranks right up. That's for later I guess. Let's get it back together first. ✌appreciate anything ya got in advance. Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:
Brake pads have plenty of material on them , I believe the short kart pipe works well . I have a long tube header on mine but I dont see where anyone sells them and it came on mine used so I dont know if someone made it them selves or not . Im in the middle of mine as a project also , you can check it out in a thread on here . Your chain tensioner is about toast . those are fairly cheap on OldMiniBikes or ebay . Not sure Im seeing whats wrong with your seat bracket ? The weld job on that bearing carrier for the jack shaft is well . " pretty poor " if it doesnt line up you can always use washers to space it just make sure your chain is straight between the sprockets . Stripping paint sucks 110% . will be a good looking ride when your done .

fistfullabar

Fact you got a cool name. You can leave the paint stripper on and cover it in a plastic bag it should work better. Concentrate the fumes makes the paint slide right off. A lot of members here like to "chop" and "customize" these bikes so there may be spare parts floating around. Brakes dont look too bad. Hopefully some of the mini bike guru's will chime in on the engine issue. Git er up and running soon. Sounds like you was having fun!!!!

CarPlayLB

Pinky...first off, I think you're way too cool! Secondly, strippers on planes are good!
In typical womanly fashion, you asked a ton of questions in just a couple breaths! The typical answer at my house in response to the wife is "yes, no, no, yes", only to be reprimanded. "Honey, I answered all your questions...what was I supposed to do?"
Strippers and paint stripper are expensive...I am too old for it to be time consuming for me! Have you considered finding a sand blaster in your area? My local powder coater will blast a frame for $30...money well spent!
Welded a jackshaft? Not great...start saving for a new one!
Bearing in brake hub? Nope, it is a stationary piece that requires no bearing. It rides on the axle, which is stationary...hopefully!
Muffler? You are cute enough to find someone that welds...a smile and a six pack will get you one made!
Stalling? Make sure all the vents are clean and open on your gas tank. I may have a vacuum/vapor lock that prevents fuel from flowing

Stay cool!

Neck

Growing up is optional
So, what would you like to attack first? You can lose the tensioner/jack shaft thingie, but it gonna give you really tall gearing (read really bad acceleration) The factory jackshaft is a big piece of junk to start with! A Comet TAV II would be the hot setup, and you would absolutely LOVE it! But it's gonna cost you nearly $200!

Oh , your stalling out engine probably has a bad low oil sensor if its full of oil . I had a bad sensor on a new engine and I could only go about a block and it would die , Id let it sit a few min and it would take off again , go one block and die . . I just unplugged it and I check the oil every time I get on it . it only takes about 10 seconds

Last edited:
Hi Pinky and welcome to the madness.

Just a thought from me, If you do another bike, find a sandblaster in your area. It saves ALL kinds of ulcers. I know some here will say just strip it but I can't deal with the drama of strippers anymore. :laugh:. I usually pay 10-20 bucks and a six pack and they do it while I wait. It's just a thought.

P.S. Nice bike. You will eventually get it where you want it. Don't stress too much.

Doc

buckeye

Well, since the experts,have spoken...

Welcome to OldMiniBikes.
Those bikes are fairly common.
Easy fixes for everything.
Clean you carb.
Pretty easy. I even leaneded.
Header will help but, if that is your main transport, I would muffle it. Don't want to piss anyone off.

I use a wire wheel on a,variable speed drill to get the old paint off. For some reason I get satisfaction out of doing this.
But, sandblast is so much easier.

Great forum and lots of guys and,gals help each other.

Right on. Ya I've been trying to figure out how to make one, looks simple enough but with my luck- and exhaust knowledge- I'll just end up with sticky stuff from duct tape all over my leg! Noisy toast! I just thought I had heard I could do away with it. After replacing that, and the jackshaft if I have to, may as well go with a torque converter.... Maybe? The bracket on the seat, well the plastic part is cracked and won't completely tighten. The nut loosens while I'm going down the road, I know this and check it while I'm riding, just looks like I'm messing with my crack probably! Lol just went to put the jack shaft back on.... Way crooked. Airplane stripper is strong, but, cmon! I'll try to get a pic. Two bolts on the bottom are way not straight with the bottom of the frame. Maybe it was like that, and have to put tire and chains on to check it? Let me know what you think? Thanks for the input! I'll check yours out too.:) I'm struggling to get photos on here! I'll get it though..

Last edited:
Thanks! I think I'll be more careful about just throwing paint on there to match my socks everyday... Too much work, but I like your idea! Geez, my right arm was sore from pull starting, now my left arms so sore from sanding! Too much fun, as long as I stay away from CSPD.... Hehe!

Pinky...first off, I think you're way too cool! Secondly, strippers on planes are good!
In typical womanly fashion, you asked a ton of questions in just a couple breaths! The typical answer at my house in response to the wife is "yes, no, no, yes", only to be reprimanded. "Honey, I answered all your questions...what was I supposed to do?"
Strippers and paint stripper are expensive...I am too old for it to be time consuming for me! Have you considered finding a sand blaster in your area? My local powder coater will blast a frame for $30...money well spent!
Welded a jackshaft? Not great...start saving for a new one!
Bearing in brake hub? Nope, it is a stationary piece that requires no bearing. It rides on the axle, which is stationary...hopefully!
Muffler? You are cute enough to find someone that welds...a smile and a six pack will get you one made!
Stalling? Make sure all the vents are clean and open on your gas tank. I may have a vacuum/vapor lock that prevents fuel from flowing

Stay cool!
Hahahahaha! Cracking up over here thank you very much! I know a couple strippers I'd pay to strip the paint stripper right off this frame.... Lol The guy that did the weld job (twice) owns a body shop, I asked him what I should do and he sandblast it. Have. Some , Body, Else, Sandblast it! Yes it's that bad! I lost my bearings in a brake hub once! Oh no, that was the brake PUB... Okay, well I learned something else new! I really only took it apart because I could not figure out where the brake fluid was. Huh. That's very sweet of you to say about being cute n all, but it didn't work!, even snapped a pic while he was welding it! Still trying to figure out the photos on here.. Wonder if it's the crappy gas cap? It's the only one I could find hat half ass fits it... I've lost 4 already just vibrated right off. That is probably something need to get right soon. I was thinking maybe she just liked to stop and rest a lot. Still a bad ass ride going down the road, even if I am pushing it. Tee hee! Thanks so much!