Fairbanks Morse Kick Starter

I moved this to the Discussion Forum so we don't clog up the sales threads and cause a bunch of bumping. @fastruppsfrompa. if you have not sold this piece, let me know and I will move it back to the sales thread and delete the conversation. Thanks. The conversation about the cup is a good one, so wanted to move the thread to preserve the subject matter.

sonerenos

thanks Dave.

if you know anyone with the proper cup for my application you know im a buyer. keep me in mind good friend.

thanks again

I do not know which cup came with the original kits. Which cup will work depends on your flywheel, both the configuration of the flywheel lugs, and the depth. One thing you can do is measure the required depth of your original recoil cup and compare that with the vendor. All of those guys currently selling those FM cups are stand up guys.

I went through three different cups before finally modifying one that would work. I also tried the OEM cup as well as a NOS replacement. Nope.

So you have to have the right height, which was around 2.5" and then the lug pattern, which for me was three lugs off of a points type H30. And finally the bottom of the cup has to be thin enough to use the Belleville washer and flywheel nut.

Part number 14-3 and 14-6 are what I have left over. 14-6 is too thick on the bottom, so you'd never be able to use the correct Belleville washer. 14-3 might work if enough is cut out of it to fit your flywheel. I THINK I ended up using 14-370 after highly modifying it.

I am sorry I don't have more info. I too scrubbed the internet looking for answers. And when it's all said and done, those pawls are real finicky about engaging 100% of the time. These kick starters are perfect for pretty little garage gems and trailer queens, which is exactly what I plan on using mine for. Dave the Rokon guy has some cool photos of these units in pieces, shattered. I'm sure they were a cool addition back in 1970 though for the mini biker who wanted just a bit more kool in in koolaide. I mean I take that engine out of it's hiding place in the cupboard all the time, and just gaze upon it's koolness. And then I will slowly turn the kick starter, and feel how it knows I am not serious, and does not engage.

minibikefever

Dave thank you for your input and research, when I do locate the cup or modify one to " work " on the motor that I put it on I believe that conversation piece will go into the cupboard now instead of my original thoughts of using and abusing it, which probably was not going to last very long from what I've read and what you said about Dave the rukon guys photos, yup down the road when I'm done pulling it out to gaze at the next owner will probably be getting NOS unused like I purchased, thanks again