Ferris Zer Turn Counterweights

About the start of fall last year I bought a used 52" cut Ferris ZTR mower in an auction. The older gentleman that was selling it was very nice and told me that he had bought it from his son in law in Florida, but he didn't like it, so he went back to a conventional tractor with a bagger. He had a big new Husqvarna bagger sitting right next to it. So, the Ferris is a triple bagger with a deck driven vacuum that blows the leaves into the triple bags. All Ferris branded stuff so it's good quality. After getting it home and working on it changing the oil and belts, I figured out why he didn't like it. While I was under the rear of it, I noticed that the muffler protective cover was peeled backwards. Actually, about to fall off. So, I did some internet searching and found that it should have 3 50-pound cast weights on the front to counterbalance the loaded weight. A friend has a small Chinese tractor, and it has what look like compatible weights on it. So, short of going to the expense of buying new ones. I thought that maybe someone might have something that would work. I heed 150 pounds total. I have been contemplating just building a box and pouring it full of molten Wheel weights and not worry about 3 pieces, but I haven't made up my mind yet. Just seems that someone might have a set of 3 weights laying around the farm somewhere.

I appreciate the help and suggestions on trying to overcome this problem as cheaply as possible.

Here is a pic I found of one on Ebay for sale with the weights. And then a picture of mine without the weights.

Thanks,

Doug

Last edited:
1 cubic foot of concrete weighs right around 150 lbs. I have seen people make them using your box idea with a rebar handle. Probably a lot cheaper than lead wheel weights

The 1 I saw was about 1/2 the weight you need and was removable because he only needed it to counterbalance the grass catcher that wasn’t always used.

Maybe the older gentleman still has them sitting in his shed.
The first thing I asked him was what the bracket on the front was for??? He said that he didn't know. He then said that he had bought it from his son in law in Florida. So, there is not any hope of tracking them down.

Now that its mentioned I have heard them called Suitcase weights before.

I shall look into using concrete. Thats about as cheap as it gets.

Lead is not a problem as I have 2 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights already. Just didn't want to melt it and pour it if I didn't have to. Then the next time I want to balance a tire I would have to scrounge more weights...

I appreciate all the input. I will search for an agricultural auction to see what they have.