First Bike! - Cat 350SS - Confirmed!

Hey guys,

I just picked up my first bike yesterday for $80! And I've really started into it. I think its a Cat 300x, what do you guy think? Its a little rough but I'm going to give it a good paint job and fix it up. It has a Tecumseh H35 that runs right now. Anyone confirm what I've figured out?
Its funny I'm a Canadian in Ohio doing a co-op at Honda, and I think I found the most american mini bike. Pretty cool anyway.

Here is a picture! And more to come.

The handle bars are a little bent(the bolt on part), anyone have a set? It has a sprotor for a brake. Missing the kickstand also, anyone have one of those? haha The seat is just covered in a bandanna and I think there is an intact seat underneath it! Ill find out soon.

Right now the bike is torn apart, motor is apart, ready for paint, and I ordered a bunch of parts OldMiniBikes.com too.

This should be fun! Trying to get it ready for Mid-Ohio Indy!

Last edited:
So whoever painted the chrome handle bars really messed them up, I spend about 2 hours sanding off the paint, which had become rust somehow. There are some remnants of chrome left underneath. Should suffice for now, but I really want to find a straight set of bars.

I would love to go that route. But my current working situation isn't best suited for working with noxious chemicals. I'm in temp housing while on a coop and I think I'm breaching the limit of what I should be doing here already hahaha. The brake fluid is for the spring and chromed caps(they were painted also). I think my sanding prep should be good enough for now. If it doesn't turn out great then in September when I get home ill sandblast it myself. I think I can get a pretty good surface with just sanding it for now though. It sure is tiresome!

I would love to go that route. But my current working situation isn't best suited for working with noxious chemicals.
For what it's worth, the paint stripper is no more noxious than the sanding dust, and maybe even neater, IF you have access to a water hose. I have never had any of my frames sand blasted, and always do the stripping myself. (I have more time than money, lol)

Stripper in a coffee tin, cheap paint brush, putty knife and pocket knife, followed by a bath with course steel wool. (And many hand burns, because I always forget rubber gloves)

No hose... On a porch haha. I have a sandblaster, it's no fun to use, I also have a guy that would probably do it for $25 but both of them are at my house in Canada. Yeah you're probably right on the stripper, just don't want to delve into the chemicals at this place.

The sanding will leave my hands in a little better condition too.
I'm sure this frame will be a few colours over the next while of me owning it, this is just the first round.:laugh: