First build, the "Jimmy Gote"

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a nice trip and a decent test of your machine. I've done fine with Loctite blue, and I never put dimples in. If you do not use Loctite, it is a 100% guarantee that your set screws will walk out. But unless you lose your key, it's not a big deal, they'll run fine on a properly adjusted chain.

Great description of the camp and the trip, although I am a fan of paragraphs. :laugh: Arizona. :thumbsup:
I keep adding paragraphs, then hit send and it all blends together, do I need to double space or something?

Hello Jim,
I was wondering what you used for your axles and how it worked with the pillow block setup? are those just set screw collars on each end of the axle or is there something else to it?

Hello Jim,
I was wondering what you used for your axles and how it worked with the pillow block setup? are those just set screw collars on each end of the axle or is there something else to it?
It is mostly a go cart axle, with one wheel. 1" keyed shaft, keyed hub for the wheel, 6"band brake w/1"keyed bore, and a 1" keyed hub for the sprocket. The wheel hub had no set screws so I drilled 4 holes and tapped them. I did add 1" shaft split collars to keep things spaced. Mostly because I got a deal on 10 collars so I used them up. But I ended up with something like 16 set screws on the axle. I did have an issue keeping everything tight. I put never seize on the axle and inside on the hubs to make it easier to remove but I think it made it hard to keep tight. I have added lock nuts to long square headed set screws and bought a socket for the square head. One problem is all those set screws add little "dings" to the axle making disassembly a bit of a chore. Big hammer and something to drive the axle out is needed. I thought of drilling dimples in the axle for the set screws to tighten into,,, but 16 holes to drill and line up an reassembly sounded a bit much. A thought I had was to make the hubs split like the collars or make slots in the frame so the entire wheel assembly can be removed in one piece. Would be easier to press apart. The other thing I don't like is the pillow and flange bearings drool grease. Having said all that it really is an easy way to make an axle. Easy to change width or spacing on the sprocket/brakes/wheel.

Thank you I appreciate it, I am going to build a fat tire bike soon and I have been researching different ways to get the rear end setup working.

Been a weird fall. Elk season took up a couple weeks. Then a friend died and I found I am the heir to his estate. Small estate,but house, land, car, general stuff. Amazing how much time and money can be used up trying to just get to start probate.

Last ride on the gote the muffler fell off. So need to modify it with an additional mount and a piece of flex. Still need get the seat done by someone real. And finish wiring. When I get stuck at home due to winter I'll post a few more pics.

[MENTION=56870]jim85541[/MENTION] My condolences on the loss of your friend Jim. IMO, 2017 has been a crappy year, and I'll be well shot of it.

Everyone knows [MENTION=18286]manchester1[/MENTION] does a great job on seats. On a couple of occasions, I have sent her my preformed, pre-T-Nut installed plywood, and let her have at it. I've always been happy with the results, and with what she charges. If she doesn't like it, she wont ship it to you and will work it until it's right.

Wow, can't believe it has been this long since I built Jlo. Still have it, still ride, never got the seat redone, lol. So far it has never let me down. But I really do not have a lot of miles on it. it spent the last two years in storage. built a new house, got married, semi retired now. Thinking of what the next beast might be.