First Mini Bike, Stretched and Lifted!

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to this mini bike world, but this forum seemed like a friendly bunch so where better to go for advice and to share my build. I recently picked up a roller mini bike. I have no idea what it is, all I know is the previous owner stretched it by several inches and also made it a little taller. WHICH, is great because I am tall at over 6 feet, BUT it was a mediocre job at best. My main concern is just getting the frame straight because it is most definitely not. After that I will cut up some tubing and have my welding buddies help me weld it in place as additional support. Need to get it straight as possible first though, so my question for you guys is what are some good methods for straightening frames? ( I did try searching but couldn't really find much ) Ill update with pictures this weekend! Thanks guys.

Welcome to the fun ! We needs pics to offer our best or worst advise . After you make several posts you should be able to uploads pics . Cold bending / tweaking is best , a lot of times a good old fashioned shop press will do !!

trinik7597

Welcome to OldMiniBikes !!! The few frames I have stretched ... I cut em jig them up clamp add what needs to be added and tack them always checking for true ... but fixing someone elses work can be tough !!

I am not too concerned about having it perfectly straight or true as this is meant to be an absolute budget and by no means perfect. Just want to see if mini bikes is something I can get into, if so then I will buy something nicer. My main goal is just making sure it's strong so I can take it out on the trails. Probably gonna get bent anyway!

I'm picking up a snow blower engine from a friend of the family the week after next, so I will wait until I get that to buy clutch, chain, throttle, etc. Probably going to go with a clutch band brake (if I've got that name right) as per the suggestion from the guys over on the facebook page, but we will see what you guys think when I get pictures up.

Depends whats tweeked. I have a Hi-lift jack that works great for stretching ad squeezing. If its twisted its usually long pipes in the right places or heat. But if you are cutting it apart anyway its alot easier to bend things that way only bending one pipe at a time is a whole lot easier that bending the whole bike

The plan is not to cut the frame apart and re-weld, I know that would be a lot easier though. Unfortunately the welding that will be getting done is calling in a favor from a friend so it is very minimal. I am going to add support bars on the side just for added strength and rigidity.

I spent a little bit of time this weekend on the bike. Got it completely disassembled and took the tires off of the wheels. I tried for a bit to straighten out the frame with absolutely no luck. The plan from here is to buy new tires and bearings and then to re mount the wheels so I can see where it will sit. I do not care at all about the bike looking straight, or even the seat being straight and level because I can just shim that. My only concern is I just want it to ride straight.

Should be picking up my engine next week, but have 0 details on that. The whole project rides on the free engine so I am hoping that it works. The end goal is to have a running bike for about $100. I don't include tire and brake cost on any builds I do because to me that is just safety equipment and completely necessary.

Also I need help figuring out what chain size will work with the sprocket on my rear wheel, I am new to the world of chains! Hopefully I'll have pictures up tonight..