Flathead had oil everywhere on outside

I am restoring a 5hp flathead and it looks like oil was coming out of the valve cover breather. I just broke it all down and the intake valve looks pretty bad covered in oil. It also doesn't look like it seats properly. Question is, would the valve not seating properly cause oil to leak down into the valve spring area and cause it to leak out in that area?

Last edited:
The block is caked in oil and the filter was also soaked. I'm guessing someone had it laying on its side. What's the best way to get it clean?

Definitely degreaser and power wash (or sneak into a car wash).
Eric was too quick :)laugh:)--if the side cover is leaking, then you could get oil everywhere. Just had the same problem with one of my 3 hp rebuilds: if the the cover was loose and the bolts too long for the uppermost cover bolt locations, one bolt will enter the valve spring chamber and interfere with the exhaust spring and either push it toward the intake spring and/or cause the exhaust valve to not open and close properly. If this happens, then oil will get in the combustion chamber and clog everything up. Bad rings would also contribute. Clean and lap the valves, check your clearances with the bolts, rings and valve lash.

Found out why it was leaking oil so badly. The side cover has been hit with a hammer or something and it has a crack in it. Looks like JB weld or maybe I'll just get a predator. Decisions decisions.

I know. This thing needs a lot more work than I anticipated. I think I'll do it right, but it's going to take a lot more time and money.

You can always do like me and throw a pred on there just so you can enjoy it and take your time finding the parts and building the correct engine for it.

Harquebus

These flatties are not that expensive to refurbish--parts are everywhere new and used.

Got photos of the holed-in sump cover? :laugh:

These flatties are not that expensive to refurbish--parts are everywhere new and used.

Got photos of the holed-in sump cover? :laugh:
Lots of variables go into them being expensive and where are parts. For a briggs (for the most part) they aint too bad depending on the area you live in. If you are having to mail order everything rebuilding one easily comes well over the $100 for a predator not even factoring in the time tracking stuff down.

Harquebus

Lots of variables go into them being expensive and where are parts. For a briggs (for the most part) they aint too bad depending on the area you live in. If you are having to mail order everything rebuilding one easily comes well over the $100 for a predator not even factoring in the time tracking stuff down.
I'll just leave you with the good Doctor's comment from above and to reiterate the wisdom:

Predators are too easy...you got to be up to the challenge of rebuilding history!
Amen. Brigg'ses are all-American and classic. It's a rite of passage to do at least one.

If you're in a hurry and need parts NOW, it'll cost you but if you're just getting a piece from here and a piece from there, casually, and looking for the best possible deals, you'll do fine.

Boy, you Predator cult members sure are persuasive. Thank goodness for variety though...:laugh:

Last edited:
I'll just leave you with the good Doctor's comment from above and to reiterate the wisdom:

Amen. Brigg'ses are all-American and classic. It's a rite of passage to do at least one.

If you're in a hurry and need parts NOW, it'll cost you but if you're just getting a piece from here and a piece from there, casually, and looking for the best possible deals, you'll do fine.

Boy, you Predator cult members sure are persuasive. Thank goodness for variety though...:laugh:
Thats why I suggested putting a cheap engine on it now just to enjoy the bike while building the correct engine.

I'm far from a predator cult member, vintage power belongs on vintage iron. However nothing is more aggravating than looking at a pile of parts you could be riding because you can't find or waiting on one little part. I dealt with the same problem. Got a bike right now my son is riding because I put a cheap engine on it while I'm rebuilding the correct one for it. Now I can take my time and do it "right".