Flea market find

Hit a flea market today while in the Cleveland area. I scored this vintage edger. It was one of those, didn't need it, but had to have it, love at first sight purchases. Nice old Italian guy wanted $150, but I got it for $100. He fired it right up, and it runs great. It's a 3hp #80202. I'm thinking about using it on my mini instead of the 2.25hp #60202 currently on it.
I believe the code # makes it a 1979?

Attachments

Just my opinion but if you are going to upgrade the engine, I wouldn't go to the 3hp I'd go up to 5 if it will fit. I think I would just leave the original though.
I appreciate the input. You are probably right. I'm not going to gain much going from a 2.25hp to a 3hp.
I just love the older vintage stuff. Maybe I will keep the 3hp for a future project.
Also picked up a late 40's early 50's Cadillac bike made right here in Cleveland, and a 1971 Wooster Sno-bob also made in Ohio.

Attachments

Minimichael

I'd put the 3hp on, before the 2 anyway. The 2.25 is already a stretch for that 3 wheeler -- depending on what you'll be hauling in the side box.

Admittedly, I've not used a 5hp on any bike yet, but I'm thinking it will certainly make your 3-wheel really haul ass. In that case, it might come in handy when you're hauling a lot of ass! ;)

My model 8B (a 2.75hp?) is on my latest mini with a Mikuni slide carb and it's almost too fast. I did port the intake and exhaust, and shave the eyebrows on the valve seats. But even though I geared it for torque, over speed, it still does 35+ mph.

Final pros and cons: parts for 5hp's ARE easier to find, but 3hp engines seem a bit rarer - to me anyway. Final disclaimer: I've only been in the hobby a few years and understand 5hp's are the standard for most mini rebuilds.

I'd put the 3hp on, before the 2 anyway. The 2.25 is already a stretch for that 3 wheeler -- depending on what you'll be hauling in the side box.

Admittedly, I've not used a 5hp on any bike yet, but I'm thinking it will certainly make your 3-wheel really haul ass. In that case, it might come in handy when you're hauling a lot of ass! ;)

My model 8B (a 2.75hp?) is on my latest mini with a Mikuni slide carb and it's almost too fast. I did port the intake and exhaust, and shave the eyebrows on the valve seats. But even though I geared it for torque, over speed, it still does 35+ mph.

Final pros and cons: parts for 5hp's ARE easier to find, but 3hp engines seem a bit rarer - to me anyway. Final disclaimer: I've only been in the hobby a few years and understand 5hp's are the standard for most mini rebuilds.
I'm one of those people who it attracted to anything vintage and unusual. That's why I like these old engines over a new one. I guess I still enjoy the good ol' days.
Starting to sound like my old man. Lol.
Thanks for the input Michael.

Last edited:
Hit a flea market today while in the Cleveland area. I scored this vintage edger. It was one of those, didn't need it, but had to have it, love at first sight purchases. Nice old Italian guy wanted $150, but I got it for $100. He fired it right up, and it runs great. It's a 3hp #80202. I'm thinking about using it on my mini instead of the 2.25hp #60202 currently on it.
I believe the code # makes it a 1979?
Nice, I just found the same thing at a yard sale and they lady gave it to me for free but it only has a 2 hp. Probably too weak to do anything with but I couldnt turn down free and it runs good, i really like the look of flatheads i just wish I could find a 5hp 20220801_173323.jpg

toomanytoys

I'm one of those people who it attracted to anything vintage and unusual. That's why I like these old engines over a new one. I guess I still enjoy the good ol' days.
Starting to sound like my old man. Lol.
Thanks for the input Michael.
I also love anything old….I’m not sure the allure. But I did finally grow tired of searching high and low for engine parts. So now I just use clones.

I need to find an older motorcycle to play with. I love my 2020 bike to daily ride but I’d love a nice 80s or 90s bike to play with. Not really old but older.

I also love anything old….I’m not sure the allure. But I did finally grow tired of searching high and low for engine parts. So now I just use clones.

I need to find an older motorcycle to play with. I love my 2020 bike to daily ride but I’d love a nice 80s or 90s bike to play with. Not really old but older.
Have I got the bike for you! Did you say "older"?

Attachments

Specify “old”…..