flywheel damage

If the vibration matches the rpms, maybe. While you have the flywheel off, can you indicate the run-out in a couple places on the crank? If there is any wear at the crankshaft casing spots, your flywheel might amplify it.
I would indicate the output end as well.
Just a starting point that I would do.

colt 1911

thanks- during the installation of the flywheel my small engine mechanic was concerned about the wear to the flywheel bore- he believed the crank was fine- I wanted to give it a try- when I install another flywheel we will see what happens

thanks- during the installation of the flywheel my small engine mechanic was concerned about the wear to the flywheel bore- he believed the crank was fine- I wanted to give it a try- when I install another flywheel we will see what happens
I usually remove the flywheel, clean both mating surfaces really well. Then color the crankshaft surface with sharpie marker or similar. Replace the flywheel without the key, snug the nut and gently turn the flywheel a bit on the stationary crankshaft. Remove and have a look. You can always indicate the flywheel in several spots and see what that yields.

delray

I've used grinding compound on my flywheels with great success. Just add the compound, put the flywheel on without the key and rotate it 10-12 times. Clean the surfaces and go again until you get the result you want.
just to add little what capguncowboy was saying.
yes, this is a must to do when installing a different flywheel on to your crank and even with the stock flywheel too.
good small engine mechanic should know this already and this is what he will be looking for after lapping the flywheel to crank with some lapping valve compound.

delray

if he thinks the bore is damage in the flywheel? then maybe the the flywheel is not sitting on there square? lot of big if's without knowing what else has been done to the motor. you do show the original flywheel damage , so at one time it took a big impact from something.

Agree. A small engine mechanic should know about lapping flywheels. It's basic stuff. I do not think that piece of missing fan blade is enough to cause any vibrations above what a single cyl engine already has. I've had worse wheels than that. Agree that the wheel may not have been properly fitted to the crank, and that was the cause of vibration and the cause of damage to the wheel bore.

colt 1911

thanks guys- you are spot on Dave- my mechanics input was the flywheel bore is hurt due to a previous incorrect installation- I can't see anything wrong with the naked eye so I torqued it on and gave it a try

delray

if he thinks the bore is damage in the flywheel? then maybe the the flywheel is not sitting on there square? lot of big if's without knowing what else has been done to the motor. you do show the original flywheel damage , so at one time it took a big impact from something.
how was the out come colt 1911. did you get a chance to fire it up yet. also was that the crank you set to the gentleman I told you about that repairs the journal?
any pic's...….

colt 1911

I put on another used flywheel and the problem is fixed the best I can tell- if someone would like to experiment with my retired flywheel send me a pm and you can have it for $40 delivered to the continental us- it is the 610769a and the lights on my bike worked perfectly - Jeff