Flywheels Revisited

Motra

My last post certainly wasn't to imply that I think it's OK to run your engine at higher than rated RPM without modification. I don't condone that at all. I haven't EVER disconnected the governor on any of my bikes. There are current posts on this board about modifying the governor in an unsafe way. I'm not upset or anything, I understand why it was deleted. If things are that strict though I think there are other posts that might deserve a second look. I'm an industry professional and I can't believe some of the stuff I read on here. I can't believe people do that crap and live to post about it. I was just passing on info in my last post, not suggestion or opinion.

it would be better PM him instead of making a new post. just my opinion as an ex-mod.

i do agree with you on some of the stuff people do here. if you tell them you think it's a bad idea even for safety reasons you get people saying you're being an asshole. gotta make sure everyone feels good even if they're endangering themselves/friends/random people by making some cobbled together piece of shit (or running w/o billet parts when they're needed).

Motra

Yeah, you're right. Sorry! I should have PM'd or just left it alone. It seemed funny because I didn't say that it's OK, just passed on some info to use as you see fit. Kinda like everything else on this forum.

Motra your not the only one who is at a loss with what people do and live to tell about . some of the things i have seen people do and survive :shrug::shrug::shrug: some of the shit i have walked .....err.... well crawled (mite fit better) away from i still dont know how :scared::scared::scared::scared:
its kinda funny how many times the flywheel thing keeps coming around . it would seem to be a logical idea if you take the safety out of the machine , that you would make it stronger . and able to take the speed you making it go .
but yet people keep doing it , you can warn a fool but the fool sometimes has to learn the hard way .
like the stupid shit i did with a snow cat clutch . ya know the brass bushing in the middle ? the one the belt rides on at idle . ya mine had cracked ,well being a idiot i just welded it up . did a real good job on it too , got all the cracks and hair lines out .filed it back to round and polished it up looked nice ,couldnt see ant marks from welding it . ya real smart was i .... it held up for months worked great till ........ one day going over the my buddy shop booking along and BOOOOM ,CLANG ,THUMP PING .THUD thought i had been shot at ...... the dam thing exploded chunks every:censure: where !!!!!!!!! we found pieces a block away from where it let go ,dents in the belly pan . a little 4 oz part went off like a bomb , the cost to replace it ? oh ya big money well worth the damage and about shitting my pants i saved by welding it total $5 . i learned a good lesson that day never ever weld some piece of any thing that spins fast, it will get you . and seeing what that little 4 oz bushing did i DONT WANT A FLYWHEEL AT 6+LB DOING THAT .

all it took for me was seeing pics of a mower flywheel that exploded. it dented a metal support pole in a large barn/shed thing (throwing it as hard as you can at it might have put a little ding in it). they also showed a piece of flywheel that still had a piece of the guy's bloody jeans stuck to it.

dropping an extra $160 on this stuff (clone price) is well worth it IMO. i'm guessing a lot of these people don't realize a stock clone flywheel weighs about 6lbs. one of those coming apart at 5000+ rpm has a lot of force behind it.

Strigoi would that possibly been a kohler racing tractor ? seen a vid of some thing like that , creepy vid .

on the
stock clone flywheel weighs about 6lbs. one of those coming apart at 5000+ rpm has a lot of force behind it.

it has more force then people think . i seen someplace where some one had sat down and did the math . of what a flywheel at x speed has x foot pounds of force , and x surface speed . i could not understand most of the v=4 -w =2 crap ,( i failed advanced math .) but the numbers they had , were in the range of stand at the rifle range . speeds of up to and over 3000 feet per second and foot pounds of force matching a 30-06 round .if a 150 grain chunk of metal can do what it does to a deer , what would a 4 oz or 1 lb chunk do to some one :shrug:
its no joke messing with flywheels at high speed .

Motra

The point I was trying to make with my last post is that no matter how safe we think the flywheel is, mistreatment of it or any kind of damage to it can cause it to fail at a much lower RPM than we think it should. No matter what flywheel it is, even billet, if it's not installed carefully and correctly, or if it somehow gets damaged, even to such a small degree that you can't see the damage, it can fail.

65ShelbyClone

i don't remember exactly what it was. it was a long time ago when i saw the pics and there weren't many details.
Results of a cast iron Kohler flywheel when spun well above 4,000 rpm

I'm somewhat surprised and somewhat not surprised at all the heated discussions about clone flywheels over on 4cycle. The sentiments seem to have an even split between "nothing has happened yet, so mine is fine" and "I'm not going to find out the hard way."

Didn't MDB post pictures of a bike where the clone flywheel came apart with the shroud looking like an exploded cigar?