flywheels

I have a 76 briggs with cast iron flywheel an another briggs same hp with an aluminum flywheel but it has teeth on back likd a starter or something drive an the cast iron one dont could i use the aluminum flywheel instead of the steel onean is there any benefits doing this the alumimum is lighter will it allow engine to rev quicker ...:shrug:

Lighter flywheel = rev quicker BUT as far as durability it might not be the way to go since its turning faster and more likely to explode since its not billet

Aluminum should be fine as long as its still a governed engine, and yes it will rev a little quicker due to it being lighter as long as you don't exceed the factory governed rpm.
Jimmy

I am pretty damned sure Briggs never made a aluminum flywheel for the horizontal engines.. It is probably a vertical shaft flywheel.. If so they are WAY WAY light, as there's supposed to a mower blade on the motor too.. They will work but idle real rough and gotta idle them up some..

You'll never blow it up with a stock cam..

BRIGGS DID BUILD in the 50's, an (alloy) of some kind, about like aluminum, but more of a real heavy pot metal.. Those flywheels I have heard are VERY BRITTLE and ya might EXPECT it to explode.. :mellow:

But those ones require a 4 post points ignition.. If ya don't have that it'll never run anyways..