Fox Campus Fender Stripes....The Easy Way !

The fenders on the Fox Campus bikes featured two parallel racing stripes that ran from the front end to the back end of each fender. Faced with the prospect of applying these stripes on twenty fenders and making sure they were centered, parallel, and straight was not a task I really wanted to try doing free-hand. After studying the problem for several days I came up with the following solution which is illustrated in the following tutorial. Pic.#1 shows a typical Fox Campus fender. My first step was to find and mark the center line of each fender. To do this I made two templates (one to mark the ends of the fender and one for the middle) as shown in Pic.#2 below. With the square template I marked the ends of each fender, Pic.#3. To be continued.

Attachments

Next I located the center line at the top of the fender using the curved template like in the first pic below. I then cut a 3/8" wide aluminum strip and bent it to fit the profile of the fender like in the second picture. This aluminum strip was then clamped to each end of the fender along the center line which was determined earlier as shown in the third pic. To be continued.....

Attachments

The vinyl tape racing stripe was then applied using this aluminum strip as a guide. First pic below. The second pic shows both stripes applied and ready for the aluminum strip to be removed. The last pic shows the final result. Thanks for looking. Ogy

Attachments

buckeye

Thanks Ogy!!

Be not to many folks,are going to be doing 20 fenders.
Not everyone is crazy like you!:laugh:

I can't wait to see the showroom you build to display all these beauties!!:thumbsup:

Just finished them up today. The darker blue ones go on the mid 60's bikes; the red ones are for the early 60's bikes and the light blue go on the later 60's bikes. The solid white pair will get painted with blue mica to match the cowling and the chain guard of the early 1963 model. Thanks for looking. Ogy

Attachments

buckeye

:pimp::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Beautiful.
I imagine at the factory when these were being made, there was a fender man.
If he is still around and sees these somehow or if he is in heaven, he's smiling.:thumbsup:

Just finished them up today. The darker blue ones go on the mid 60's bikes; the red ones are for the early 60's bikes and the light blue go on the later 60's bikes. The solid white pair will get painted with blue mica to match the cowling and the chain guard of the early 1963 model. Thanks for looking. Ogy

Amazing attention to detail Ogy...but I've come to expect nothing less than excellence from you.

Last edited:
:pimp::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Beautiful.
I imagine at the factory when these were being made, there was a fender man.
If he is still around and sees these somehow or if he is in heaven, he's smiling.:thumbsup:
I wonder this as I walk through the old Fox factory from time to time. I highly doubt they paid that close to detail back then, I've seen a few original bikes and the decals were way crooked:laugh:

Excellent work as always OGY:thumbsup:

I wonder this as I walk through the old Fox factory from time to time. I highly doubt they paid that close to detail back then, I've seen a few original bikes and the decals were way crooked:laugh:

Excellent work as always OGY:thumbsup:
I wonder if they really did do the stripes by hand or whether they were applied mechanically. I'm glad I only had to do twenty fenders. Very tedious work. Although; on the twentieth fender I did discover a trick that allowed me to apply the tape in under a minute. Like the local Amish around here say..."Too late schmart". Ogy

Thanks Ogy!!

Be not to many folks,are going to be doing 20 fenders.
Not everyone is crazy like you!:laugh:

I can't wait to see the showroom you build to display all these beauties!!:thumbsup:
Showroom my foot! I'm already making plans to clear out the living room. Just need to remove the pink carpeting and decide on a color which will highlight the bikes more. I'm thinking a nice fluffy white. Mrs. Ogy's thinking divorce.