Fox Campus Progress Update

ogy, that bike show was in dubois mall,not st. marys.. beautiful country up there...Went to see Don Fezell's car collection couple years ago.he was from beaver co. Thanks for the offer,if I'm up that way ..Mick

Those are beautiful!! but your shop's neatness is just beyond belief! Mine looks like a junkyard, 10 lbs of s##t in a 5 lb garage. The painting is just amazing, where do you paint them? I am sooo jealous.
My shop/junkyard

capguncowboy

Those are beautiful!! but your shop's neatness is just beyond belief! Mine looks like a junkyard, 10 lbs of s##t in a 5 lb garage. The painting is just amazing, where do you paint them? I am sooo jealous.
My shop/junkyard
Your garage looks like mine, but with less wood-working tools and sawdust. I really need to build another shop

buckeye

Thought I would post a couple of pics of the progress on my Fox Campus restoration project. Got six of them to the roller stage and only four more to go. Waiting on one set of fenders, cowling, and chain guard to get back from the paint shop and then I'll be ready for upholstery. I hear there's a lady in Jim Thorpe, Pa. who does an outstanding job with upholstery. Think I'll have to look her up. Are you listening Karen? In the meantime; I'll finish assembling the last four and then I'm ready to install motors, controls, lights, etc. Still trying to convince the Mrs. to let me display them in the living room. Not having much luck with that. Hope you enjoy the pics. Ogy
Ogy, you are the master.
Absolutely beautiful.
Can't wait to see them finished.
I look like a bald and mustached Stevie.

My shop/junkyard
ole, I was going to attempt to paint them myself. Back when I was young; you primed them and sprayed them with enamel or lacquer and that was it. Once I discovered how complicated today's painting process is (primer, base coat, top coat, clear coat, hardeners, fast and slow catalysts, anti-fisheye additives, etc, etc,) I figured the hell with it. So I sent them to a local custom body shop and let their expert figure all that out. Not cheap, but a better than job than I ever could have done. Sadly, my shop was a mess when I took those pics. Here are a couple of pics of what it looks like when it really "is" clean. I see from your pics that you have a Bridgeport milling machine. Now I'M jealous. Ogy

Attachments

Those bikes are really cool..i like the what i call dream fenders..(reminds me of Honda dream bikes)...incredible work..amazing
Raskin, Fox Campus bike fenders are not available anywhere in the known universe. Just ask Buckeye. I had to reproduce them myself. I sculpted a plug (pattern) from an original one. From the plug I made a fiberglass casting. That casting was used to make an interior casting which was used to make a vacuforming mold. I took the mold to a plastics fabricator in Pittsburgh and they vacuformed the fenders for me. Took the biggest part of a year to do that; but in the end I didn't have any other options. Ogy

How can you find anything in a shop like that? Wouldn't the glare from all the clean tools blind a guy? However, the reality is that I am jealous of the cleanliness and organization. Ohhh, the bikes look great too!

WLB, I'm doing them because I had one when I was a kid and I've always liked the Fox Campus bike. I don't know of any "Minibike" museums or I'd donate them when the time comes. I'm old, never had any kids, and the nieces and nephews are all grown. What to do with them is something I do think about. And NO, I don't want to adopt any of you; unless you look like Stevie Nicks of course. Ogy
I look a bit like Stevie Nicks after about 30 beers, would you like a pic? lol of course I'm kidding. I am in AWE of your builds and of course your shop. you are a true craftsman. thanks for the pics and information.............

Thanks for the nice comments fellas. My shop is a direct result of "tool deprivation" when I was a kid. Back then my workshop was a shed with a dirt floor. My tools consisted of one hacksaw whose blade had approximately ten remaining teeth, two screw drivers, one ball peen hammer , an adjustable wrench, and a pair of pliers. Try working on minibikes with that. At least back then I didn't spend a lot of time trying to remember where I last used my wrench. Now I buy multiples of everything and keep them organized because it saves a lot of time searching for a particular tool. And, as an added bonus, when I'm working around the house, I can tell the Mrs. to run down to the shop and get me a #2 Phillips screwdriver and she knows exactly where to find it. Ogy

Thanks for the nice comments fellas. My shop is a direct result of "tool deprivation" when I was a kid. Back then my workshop was a shed with a dirt floor. My tools consisted of one hacksaw whose blade had approximately ten remaining teeth, two screw drivers, one ball peen hammer , an adjustable wrench, and a pair of pliers. Try working on minibikes with that. At least back then I didn't spend a lot of time trying to remember where I last used my wrench. Now I buy multiples of everything and keep them organized because it saves a lot of time searching for a particular tool. And, as an added bonus, when I'm working around the house, I can tell the Mrs. to run down to the shop and get me a #2 Phillips screwdriver and she knows exactly where to find it. Ogy
Hi Ogy,
I too suffered from tool deprivation when I was a young kid/teenager. Now at age 62, I have a collection of automotive repair tools
larger than many professional garages. I too had a blue/white Fox campus minibike. I got is used in Spring 1969 when I was
age 13. I am still in the process of looking at various photos to figure-out the model year of the Fox Campus Bike I once had.

What a surprise to see a couple of my old Fox Campus posts pop up again. I haven't worked on the Foxes since January of this year. I've had some serious health issues crop up unexpectedly and right now I'm dealing with those. Honestly don't know if I will ever be able to finish the Foxes. We'll see what happens. I''ve attached a couple of pics of where I left off. Ogy

Attachments

What a surprise to see a couple of my old Fox Campus posts pop up again. I haven't worked on the Foxes since January of this year. I've had some serious health issues crop up unexpectedly and right now I'm dealing with those. Honestly don't know if I will ever be able to finish the Foxes. We'll see what happens. I''ve attached a couple of pics of where I left off. Ogy
Hi Ogy,
Is there anyway we can help you out with achieving the goal of completing all ten Fox Campus bikes?
Too bad we do not have one or more OldMiniBikes people who live near Ogy who could learn and work as apprentices
under Ogy. As sad as I feel when I think about it, there will eventually come a day when, you, Ogy, are no
longer here. It would be nice if we could preserve all of the knowledge that you have about Fox Campus Bikes.
Orson Yancey