Fox Campus Trail Bike Build

desert rat

Hey just for the next welding you might do, start at the edge don't finish at the edge(bolt slot). You build heat as you weld so do the edge while the metal is cooler so you will not have the burn out you have now. Also if you can find an old transformer or better yet switch gear(7000 volt and up) you can get copper plate from them to use as a backer plate. The weld will not stick to copper. Don't use a penny they are not copper. Just some tricks from an old welder. Like the tire upgrade.

nightgrider

Thanks for the tips. This is my first welding experience. Learning as I go and making mistakes along the way. I've been enjoying it though. Just have to keep practicing, practicing, practicing.

nightgrider

Welding is fun. Looks like you are using ether a core flux mig or stick. Ether way you did good.
Thanks Desert Rat. Yeah, I was using a cheap flux core mig welding machine. Didn't want to get a lot of money wrapped up in equipment yet till I found out if I liked welding or not. Now that I know I enjoy it, I may upgrade. But for now the flux core takes care of my needs and I don't have a 220 line in my garage to run a bigger machine.

desert rat

Thanks Desert Rat. Yeah, I was using a cheap flux core mig welding machine. Didn't want to get a lot of money wrapped up in equipment yet till I found out if I liked welding or not. Now that I know I enjoy it, I may upgrade. But for now the flux core takes care of my needs and I don't have a 220 line in my garage to run a bigger machine.
What is your machine?Do you have the gas option?

nightgrider

You did good enough with flux your ready for a gasser. This one would do anything you would do around home/ small business and be cleaner. Gas is also easier to use out of position - like overhead is no fun with flux. If you can find a way you will not regret it.
https://www.harborfreight.com/mig-140-professional-welder-with-120-volt-input-64804.html
Thanks for the suggestion. I have had my eye on some of the better machines that harbor freight offers. I have heard good things about their Titanium brand machines.

desert rat

Last edited:

nightgrider

For now pick up a can of this and keep your gun cone and around your weld area sprayed down. Anyone using a mig should be using this stuff. It's pam for welders;).
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Anti-Spatter-Non-Stick-Spray-KH505/100341087

These are good to have also. the tips are to clean you tip out and you want to snip the end of your wire off between weld passes.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Capri-Tools-Welding-Pliers-CP10110/207008028?NCNI-5
Thanks, I've got a set of the pliers and they come in handy. I haven't used the anti-splatter spray, but seen it used in videos. I keep a drill chucked up with a wire wheel and hit the weld right after I finish. It usually takes care of most of the splatter, but not all.

nightgrider

I've got the flywheel and fan on the engine. I still need to torque the flywheel nut to spec. I'm also working on a mounting bracket for my voltage regulator. I'm planning to mount the voltage regulator on the font of the engine. 20210408_085127.jpg 20210408_085345.jpg

nightgrider

It was a nice day, so I was able to get a lot of painting finished up. Just need to let the paint cures and I can apply the decals.

Attachments