Front Fork Disassembly Heald Super Bronc

My question might be pre-mature as I have not even touched it yet but I know you guys have a lot of expertise you share with FNGs like me. Need to take apart front fork in order to install new shock boots I bought from R Kimball years ago. Might as well tidy up all else (e.g., brake unit) that involves that unit while I'm there. How does it all come apart? I see two nut/bold combos on each tube and wonder if pulling those out might free up the lower inner leg (the leg that the axle is mounted on) from the top fork. I also bought front brake parts from Kimball at that time and re-building this bike will now make use of those parts. Thank you for any info you might provide that pertains to servicing the front fork. Side note: haven't touched front end yet but man you ought to see what the rear end is looking like--new paint on frame, cleaned up and painted engine plate, jackshaft unit cleaned up well and new belt going in soon, etc.... And the wife doesn't understand why I've been living in the garage for the last four days!?!

The two bolts you speak go through the upper and lower eyelet of the spring....yes they need to come out....the front wheel assembly will roll out springs and all....

For the fork gators I purchased the washing machine Ones in an ad I saw once...work good and only about $12 each
I saw a post on one of the forums talking about the washing machine stuff and thought it sounded funny but hey, if they work why not. Also saw something abt that referring to Honda 50 fork stuff that might work. Probably more expensive but I'll check both out when the time comes. Thank you for the heads up on this stuff.

@Docdng

The OEM Honda boots are very close to the originals in size and shape. The washing machine boots are longer and larger in diameter. And yes the Honda boots cost a few dollars more, until you add shipping, than the washing machine boots but they look and fit right. 31 with free shipping for Honda boots verses 24 plus shipping for washing machine boots.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=380800672010

Beware of the point of origin as some are shipping from overseas. Which means 4 to 6 weeks or longer. The ones I listed are from a US source.

Honda Boots

Washing Machine Boots

Last edited:
I see the difference in the photos you provided. I personally think that the Honda boots look a little better--just the right length as opposed to the "Maytag" boots which look a little too long for my tastes. Thanks for the information. I already have, on hand, boots I bought from Ron Kimball years ago (brand new) but sourcing these things is important when you know that OEM stuff is harder to find. On another note: At some point I will research what it takes to convert the "drive" on my current setup (centrifugal clutch--on one side of the bike, to jackshaft to chain--on the other side of the bike) to a setup where I keep everything on the clutch side. I will seek the advise of folks like you and the appropriate forums to see what this entails--if its even a good idea to go there? Too many moving parts with the jackshaft in-between the two opposing sides and I wonder if anybody has done the math to see how much power is eaten up in that transfer of power. If you start with 10 HP at the Tecumseh, how much power do you have operating at the "rear end?" Not that we're building a top fuel dragster you understand but a curiosity question nonetheless. My Heald can now climb trees so what am I worrying about, right? Thanks again.

Imo...that jackshaft is where some of it's climbing ability comes from.

Put a tav on there with original type drivetrain, including the jackshaft, and that thing will plow through, or over, almost any obstacle.

Enjoy !