Frustrated Coleman CT200 newbie

Hi Gents,

Man! Ever have one of those days where you start off feeling great, best-dad-ever kind of day, and then end it with a case o' beer and a broken minibike?

So I bought my kids a Coleman CT200 and after a week (today) the breaks go out.

What happened was my son came in the house to tell me the back wheel was stuck. When i went out sure enough the wheel was completely locked in place. After forcing the wheel to move the bike was rideable but the break was shot.

The break is a cable break running to a rear brake drum assembly located on the rear wheel. To fix it, I tried the basics. I adjusted the brake lever adjustments as well as the adjusting nut at the wheel. I tightened it real good.

Here's the thing. The break only works in some positions now. The wheel will rotate and lock. Rotate and lock. Like the drum is warped or the break caliper is warped or something.

Can anyone offer me any advice???

Am I screwed?

Thanks!!

JD

Last edited:
You will probably have to take the rear drum set up apart , sounds like the lining has came off the shoe itself or there is a rock or something inside the drum. Good Luck !

Go with the EBC set [MENTION=53722]FOMOGO[/MENTION] noted. The EBC's are a big step up from the original set. The springs attach differently (forming an "X"), but they work just fine and are a great replacement. You can also get them off of amazon for a bit less. Just search for EBC 304G.

Last edited:
That's a pretty easy fix, and it should last a lot longer with the EBC shoes. Be sure to check the drum for damage. You'll have your best-dad-ever status back in no time at all. :thumbsup: