FS Burnishing for minibike parts (pics)

Folks.

I've been a forum member since 2010 and have been involved in vintage karting since 2002. About 3 years ago I bought an ALMCO V3 to help the community with restoration or modification of surface finishes. I own 2 minibikes, my prized 1947 Cushman, as well as 10 vintage karts.

While burnishing a Honda yesterday it occurred to me I hadn't reached out to the MB group and wanted to do that now. Full disclaimer: Burnishing parts is addictive and will help put your projects in the winner’s circle.

I'd like to build a strong thread here with your support. As work comes in I will show before and after pics. If the moderator needs to move this to another location, that's fine with me. This is a service for sale.

Here is a link to some work I've done in the last few months. A more complete portfolio is available on another site which I'll try to link to.
https://www.vintagekartforum.com/showthread.php?tid=982

Thanks.
Sam

IMG_7284.JPG
IMG_7286.JPG
IMG_7336.JPG
IMG_7327.JPG

After
IMG_7308.JPG
IMG_7313.JPG
IMG_7345.JPG
IMG_7349.JPG

capguncowboy

Most of the burnishers I've looked into charge by the pound. Is that the case here as well? Are you taking orders via shipment or just walk-in only?

CarPlayLB

I have been watching Sam's work on the kart site for years. It is nothing short of spectacular. Sam knows his stuff and does and excellent job. I have some stuff I will send to you shortly. Thank you very much for reaching out to this crowd! I will send you a PM for your details. If I recall, you charge by the box...right? USPS flat rate pricing? LOL
Scott over at the vintage kart site turned me on to this and Sam is truly a great guy! Do not hesitate to deal with him!

I wish I could post the large format images like I'm able to on the kart site. I did some work today which turned out amazing.

When I came up with pricing in 2015 it was simple. Anything you can fit in a USPS Medium flat rate box was $40 and a Large flat rate box was $60. If I have to remove paint, glass bead blast, remove bearings, etc,. it would be extra based on what we agree to. I have a full time job and burnish because I enjoy giving back to the gentlemen who have passed down this hobby. The chemicals and electricity cost money. The time of wiring and plugging holes takes more time than blasting and I just give that away. I also chase all the threads if I have the taps. No one has ever complained about my service.

I met CarplayLB from karts and he does an amazing service for the community. Thank you for the recommendation.

I used to live in STL which was convenient for the country, but now I'm all the way out here in FL. I schedule jobs via PM, or email, so I'm at home when they arrive and go back out the same or next day. Flat rate helps save money.

As far as a 390 block? The GX200 was no problem for my machine. Even if it's 30% larger, I should be o.k. I'd love to have a go at it.

Here are some pics from today.

IMG_7375.JPG
IMG_7382.JPG
IMG_7381.JPG
IMG_7398.JPG

maverick1

I live right across the street on Iroquois. Probably seen me riding my mini's on Ramsey. I spent a good part of growing up on Ramsey as my late sister lived there at 475 for years

Rodney

Thanks fellas. I look forward to posting the results of these parts.

A little more background on why I got into this a few years back. For years, I struggled finding anyone to do small custom burnishing. The results were usually good, but I was frustrated with the cost and I knew the shop was more interested in doing pallets of seat belt latches, or die cast electrical boxes. I don't blame them really. They are fighting over pennies per pound and they need to do huge volume to keep their lights on.

My jobs were interrupting production and I either waited for weeks, or paid dearly! Additionally, they didn't seem to place the same amount of concern for a rare part as I did!

I sent out samples while shopping for a machine. My criteria was two-fold: I wanted a one step process, and it couldn't change the size of the parts. For example, some cast parts have flash and parting lines. I wanted those to remain and not alter the "fresh from the box" look.
Ceramics, and abrasives were out of the question. This left me with porcelain or steel. Both are incredibly expensive per pound. I chose steel pins because they have more weight per cubic foot which imparts more load on the part being burnished. The pins, unlike balls are great for the corners. I buy high quality chemicals from a company in Michigan, and Illinois. I experimented on my own parts for over 100 hrs before I started taking work for other folks.
The organic cob stuff works good only as a post treatment to steel burnishing. If you try to cob a blasted part, you'll be severely disappointed. Steel takes 1-2 hours for me to be happy. A cob post-treatment will run for 8+ hours, is expensive, and adds an additional 10% bling.

One more thing.
My day job is working for a major manufacturer of commercial and business jets. I fly these great machines worldwide and it keeps me from home for extended periods (18 days at a time). With that said, it's best to coordinate with me so the parts arrive the day my feet hit the ground at home. I get orders out the same or next day usually.

Maverick1 came over today and we had a great time talking about the things we all love: hobbies, work, kids, etc,. I couldn't ask for a better neighbor.

I've got a number of jobs on the way from the great folks here in the forum. I can't wait to show the results. Keep the PM's coming.

Thanks.
Sam

maverick1

I felt like a kid in a toy store. I feel very lucky getting the opportunity to see your collection. The burnishing process is very cool and your work is top notch.Looking forward to my next rebuild. I had a great time talking with you.

Rodney

CarPlayLB

Hey Sam, when I send you stuff, I don't want you showing all these clowns my double top secret stash! LOL I will have a box on its way very soon! I am ecstatic you are here!

Parts arrived from you guys this morning.

Turbines arrived prepped. I gave them another quick blast to even out the color, chased the threads, and put them in the machine. They were shipped back same day.

After 1.5 hours. The pics don't do justice for the color or luster. The digital cameras mess with the white balance and so everything looks more grey.

When I start to get a reflection (area in the red box) I know they are done.

A variety of other wheels showed up from California. Mostly prepped the same way (which helps alot). The entire order of 12 halves took 6+ hours to process. Completed the same day.

After. Note the reflection.