Fuel pump ran off catch can?

I installed a fuel pump on my drag motor and I ran pulse side of the pump to the catch can breather ( where the filter would go). Started it up and it seems to be getting too much fuel. Should I tee off valve cover pulse line and put beather filter back on?

CarPlayLB

A pulse fuel pump needs a good pulse signal to work properly. The closer to the engine, the better the pulse. The catch can will get a very weak pulse as it is too far from the engine (typically) and has an open breather which would negate the pulse signal. The intake path after the butterfly is good. As an alternative, you can run directly from the crankcase.

Twid

From what I understand you also want the line from the pump to the pulse fitting as short as possible.

His problem if he is correct is too much fuel. Wondering if this is on a minibike. Depending if it is a float bowl carb sometimes they do not play well with fuel pumps that is why I was asking what carb and what pump.

trinik7597

His problem if he is correct is too much fuel. Wondering if this is on a minibike. Depending if it is a float bowl carb sometimes they do not play well with fuel pumps that is why I was asking what carb and what pump.
i have experienced this with the walbro on my animal:thumbsup:

Mikuni sells different diameter needle and seats to allow for gravity (large) and pump pressure (smaller). Dont think it would fit on the chi mikunis but not sure.

Yeah this drag motor ...has alot of hp and im running high rpms on this motor and I think too much pulse is too strong and force too much gas into carb because it flows out of bottoms drain. Im gonna try running a return line and see what happens.
If that doesnt work ill go off valve cover or intake

Not sure what you think is high for hp and rpm, but I make over 20 @ over 9 grand with no issues. Is this gasoline or alcohol? If fuel is coming out the overflow, in the past on my bike it has been a stuck float or needle.

Last edited:

2SlickNick

Yeah this drag motor ...has alot of hp and im running high rpms on this motor and I think too much pulse is too strong and force too much gas into carb because it flows out of bottoms drain. Im gonna try running a return line and see what happens.
If that doesnt work ill go off valve cover or intake

Make sure to check the spark plug and the crankcase oil, as gasoline can find its way down there.