Funky Fox Front Forks 1964 GoKart catalog

markus

Been scoring some neat literature here and there in the last few months, Latest finds for the last couple of weeks were a couple of Fox catalogs and a complete 45 page dealers service and maintenance manual for the 1969 Lil Indian bikes :thumbsup:

I already have some of the Fox catalogs, this particular one is under the "GoKart" name so that was cool. The bikes are listed as 1100,1200, and 1300. The Fox version of the catalog showed them with the Doodle bug, sprite and Campus names, and There was even a Montgomery wards/riverside version of this catalog that shows them as "go cycles" and things like that.

Seen this pic before, but never noticed the odd fork setup that's on the bike in the catalog back cover shot (BTW that is actor Tim Considine from the TV show My three sons on the bike).

Thought it was intersting, Not sure if maybe that was a test mule bike or what. I wish the shot was better, its hard to make out "how it works". kinda looks like cast aluminum bases where the axle passes though. Whatever it was they were experimenting with I guess it didn't pan out though :laugh: The little one is neat catalog, it has in depth drawings with radius/angles/measurments for the 1100 mini bike frame and forks and the 2100 Kart. Also notes the transition from Fairbanks Morse brakes the early bikes used to Bendix brand that the later bikes got.

Steve73

I saw a fox catalog i think for sale with some nice plans to build your own or you could buy it as a kit back in the day. Good score! :thumbsup:

Good info. Markus, It does look like they tried using a cast aluminum axle holder and what appears to be a set of springs immediately above them. I would imagine that the original set of springs located beneath the rubber boots were still in use. Not sure why a second set of springs would be necessary. Wondering what the two bolts or pins located between the upper and lower springs were for. Maybe to hold the lower springs in place? Would sure love to get a hold of one of these bikes to see what made them tick. Thanks for sharing Markus. Ogy

markus

Good info. Markus, It does look like they tried using a cast aluminum axle holder and what appears to be a set of springs immediately above them. I would imagine that the original set of springs located beneath the rubber boots were still in use. Not sure why a second set of springs would be necessary. Wondering what the two bolts or pins located between the upper and lower springs were for. Maybe to hold the lower springs in place? Would sure love to get a hold of one of these bikes to see what made them tick. Thanks for sharing Markus. Ogy
You know the more I look at it I noticed something else, See the bolt or nut behind the wheel? The fork lowers also look like they could be curved back as well because the springs look to be sitting behind the axle center. almost like they were trying to a trailing arm like setup....a bit too elaborate for a mini bike, but then again the fully loaded Campus bikes were a bit over the top to begin with :thumbsup:

Kinda thinking maybe they had something like the Cougar Research bike I had going on, only with springs instead of the Lord isolator mounts for the suspension. The cougars were built in 1963 and they advertised the hell out of them that year and then of course disappeared.That would have been right about the same timeline.

that was a crazy bike, but I dont think they made many of them, Serial number on this one was #11 on mine so there were at least 10 others, if they had I think Lord would have had to up the production run on isolators cause they were gonna need replaced constantly!