Gas additive to clean 2cyl carb/

WrenchDad

I just got a ryobi string trimmer for less than a song. It's like new but hasn't run in awhile. The tank was clean and dry but smelled like old premix. I put the 50:1 in it and it runs but not real good I have to feather the choke. I'm assuming the carb or probably the diaphragm has some sludge or varnish in it. I prefer not taking the carb apart as the gaskets and diaphragms are touchy and easy to ruin. What can I ad to the fuel to dilute,remove ,clean it out while running. I would like to try this approach before tearing it apart.
Any suggestions are welcome.

WrenchDad

X2 ...but be prepared to change the gaskets!
Why is that? will it eat the gaskets? Remember if I have to tear it apart I might as well get the $18.00 rebuild kit

What is the dose and process for sea foam.(in this small application.)
I've seen it used as a fog and I used it in my Motorcycle as a system treatment(I think it was 1/2 bottle to 3 gallons )when I bought it used,it had sat for three years and had been run on the gas that was in it.(it seemed to run fine,But I added the Seafoam as a precaution) but I didn't see much difference in performance. So it either wasn't dirty or the gas wasn't bad. Back yard mechanics here at work told me I could use dollar store fuel injector cleaner that you ad to the gas in your car tank.
Any truth to that? again what's the process.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
I use fuel injection cleaner in everything I own.
I Un-plugged my Snowblower carb with it one year and it would only run on the choke before the cleaner went in.

Took about 1/2 oz to a 1 gal.

CarPlayLB

Why is that? will it eat the gaskets? Remember if I have to tear it apart I might as well get the $18.00 rebuild kit

my small engine guy tells me that every small engine that comes to him these days needs new gaskets. Maybe that's just a Cali thing. Says the ethanol reacts with the aluminum and clogs things up.

SeaFoam is a magic elixir though...give it a shot...and it doesn't hurt to have that around the shop!

WrenchDad

my small engine guy tells me that every small engine that comes to him these days needs new gaskets. Maybe that's just a Cali thing. Says the ethanol reacts with the aluminum and clogs things up.

SeaFoam is a magic elixir though...give it a shot...and it doesn't hurt to have that around the shop!
I agree I thought maybe you ment the seafoam would be bad on the gaskets.
I haven't checked the exhaust Rob But your right, I have seen them get gummed up before not plug but get nasty ,my old Ryobi was a 32:1 and it would get pretty gunkie actually drip black sludge from the exhaust. Harleys Papa I'm not opposed to the $18 if nothing else works.
The guy I got it from when I asked what he new about it said "It ran but that was a while ago" So I'm guessing he ran it empty or left a small amount of gas in it and it dried up leaving behind the 2cyl oil. I have some injector cleaner on hand so I may try that first then go to The seafoam then the Kit if need be. It was a CS26 expandit with new curved shaft trimmer head (34 bucks it'self) for $10 so it was worth the shaft alone. (I have a SS26 expand it but the trim head is AFU ( It also needs the $18 rebuild kit But I didn't bother because the trim head was goofed up).. so either way I'm good.
Thanks again for the feedback.

banjo

You could try backing the jets out , then back in. while it's running. This sometimes allows debris to clear out. Maybe you just need to adj. carb?

WrenchDad

You could try backing the jets out , then back in. while it's running. This sometimes allows debris to clear out. Maybe you just need to adj. carb?
I looked for adjustments but I couldn't find any. All of these little ryobi motors I've had Have a fixed air mix setting or the ones with the little turn stop type.

My advice is to take it apart and do it up. I had a briggs pulse jet pickup and pump that was varnished up. I tried several chemicals, and nothing really ate the varnish. I ended up running a drill bit up the pickup tube. That stuff was tenacious. The diaphragm rubber however cleaned up okay with carb dip and a rag. Carplay can cut you up some gaskets.

Shoot man, you already know what you "should" do, lol!

Seafoam

Fun tip, straight from the people at Seafoam:

Get yourself a small crock pot and fill with Seafoam. Soak your carb overnight at 180 degrees and by morning it will look like new, and all crevices, gum and old gas deposits will be cleaned out.

I have a small one (quart size) and it works perfect for small carbs. Picked it up at the Goodwill for two bucks:thumbsup: