Gas Powered Crazy Kart !!

I always kinda liked the way these Crazy Karts work they look like fun. A few days ago I watched a Hoonigan video of them racing so I guess they are cool and I should build one. Gas Powered predator 79cc should work fine. I built the frame out of some old shelving 29" x 40" The real ones crazy kart Xl are about that size. The way the castors on the back work with the drift handle is they lay back a bit to keep it straight then when you want to drift you pull the bar and they come up and swivel easily. So I started building the engine frame with an old water pump bearing. Trying to keep it as tight around and short as possible. Its going well. I figured the gear ratio with a jackshaft to be about 8.5:1 with the 9.5" pocket bike tire on a 4" wheel would be about right.

Attachments

Today I got alot done. I made the castor bar with some pipe and 5/8" rod on the ends. I would have used 5/8 rod the whole bar but didnt feel like making a trip to the steel shop plus it saved some money. Then made the seat mounts. I had it too far tilted cut them off and welded them again a bit more upright. We'll see how it sits when its done I can always adjust it again later.
Then a big change of plans. I decided to remove the tank and muffler to get the steering wheel lower. Lowered it about 5" from 27" to 23" makes a big difference. I will rout the exhaust down and I think the stock muffler will fit nicely down in the back behind the jackshaft. The tank im using a little weed wacker tank I snaked the line through the sroud around the coil and made a little bracket to hold it away from the flywheel. Tried to keep it as level as i could. I think itll work. Also removed the goveroner arm but left the wheel inside witht he weights im not sure if thats ok or how to get it out?
The throttle will be by cable so it will only spin just over 180 degrees liek the real crazy karts do. Otherwize i have to make some kind of crazy throttle. Which i might do later but i want to try and see how it works first. Also the drift handle i have has a lock button on it so im going to make a lockout to keep the drift bar locked up when desired for full time drifting.

Attachments

Got alot done the engine frame is done aswell as the jackshaft and muffler. I still need to make the spacers for the axle and jackshaft aswell as the throttle setup. Then i made the framing on the kart to hold the drive and the footboards. im going to put sheetmetal on the back by the seat and down at an angle from that to the feet so i dont burn anything on the muffler. Id like to keep the stock muffler trying to avoid using a hotdog muffler i dont know why it seems im just making it harder for myself.

Attachments

The dizzy kart is as done as its going to get for now. Its not pretty but how do you make this thing pretty anyway? It works pretty well on and offroad. It does need some shallow casters on the footboards I saw some at hf I will put on. I made the lockout not spring loaded so that it actually stays in place. It takes some getting usto to control this thing especially since my driveway is not level. But its fun. The drift feature doesnt work like i expected it either goes straight or spins. There isnt really a halfway. Im not sure if its because of my design or if the real ones do that too. Might need to modify something. Im going to research a bit and see how the real ones are designed. Late for that I know :laugh: I need to make a video before it breaks

Attachments