Gas tank cleaning and wheels

I hope I have this in the right place. I have been reading and learning a lot of good information on this site. I recently saw someone comment in a post about cleaning a steel tank with apple cider vinegar. I have a plastic tank that has old gas residue after sitting for 2 years. Will the apple cider work in a plastic tank? Also can you clean a carb with it??? Its as bad or worse than the tank.

I have a Cat 250X and need wheels for it. Can someone suggest a source for a wheel as close to original as possible? The front wheel was still on it when I got it and is a steel 6 inch but it is rusted beyond any use. It has bolts around the outer edge of the center. It is odd to me and I cant find any like it. I just want to bring it back to it original glory. Probably hang it from the rafters when it is done because it is just too tiny for me or the wife..... But it is cute!

Thanks, Doug

JustEnough

Vinegar is a mild acid that can be used to remove rust. If there is no rust, vinegar should not be used. If there is rust, you need to degrease the part first like what is described in the next sentence.

Old gas and it's residue can be removed with HOT water and detergent like Dawn dish soap. If you dry the inside of the tank with hot air, like from a hair dryer after cleaning it, rust should not be a problem. Putting an ignition source near a semi enclosed container that may have a oily residue or explosive vapors can have disastrous consequences, so make sure it is real clean before drying.

Rinsing the tank with alcohol and then letting the remaining alcohol evaporate is a way to skip the hot air drying.

Here is a search of Oil Drum Explosion to see what can go wrong with cutting or torching a tank:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=oil+drum+explosion&pc=MOZI&first=15&FORM=PORE

Last edited: