Gell Battery

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
A friend used a old mobility scooter gel battery, worked great.

I was going to try a lithium 12v battery. They are much smaller than the bigger motorcycle batteries.

My trike has a Gell Cell and it's holding up very well. Lithium batteries scare me, they burst into flames unexpectedly like has happened on balance boards, they don't like jarring or overloads.

My main concern is that I want a "dry" battery. I know absolutely nothing about the gel batteries. Just thinking about venting gasses and corrosion. I have been thinking about converting my 4 wheelers to gel batteries as they need a battery. Anybody have a name preference??? I have always used Yuasa batteries in my Hondas as that is what they came with. They have been very dependable for me. Keep a battery tender on them when not in use and they are always happy.

I to am not overly crazy about Lithium batteries....

Thanks,

Doug

Shorai lithium batteries weigh almost nothing compared to regular batteries. It's amazing how light weight they are. Get 'em at motorcycle shops or on Amazon, etc. Very popular item these days.

Shorai Lithium Batteries and Chargers - Shorai Lithium Batteries
Tom, thanks for the link. I looked at the site and picked out the correct battery for my Honda and they require very specific charging parameters. I don't think it would be an issue with the Honda's but I don't think a Tec/Brigg's with a lighting/charging coil would support them.

Here is what was in the listing for the Honda application.

"Shorai Batteries require a charging system output of 13.1 Volts or higher at idle, and must not exceed 15.2 volts at maximum output."

I think the mini's would fall way short of this and then exceed it with rpm's as well.

Thanks,

Doug

Last edited:
...I think the mini's would fall way short of this and then exceed it with rpm's as well...
I haven't tried one of the Shorai batteries yet. They seem pretty neat and I have not heard of any catching on fire.

The Yuasa sealed batteries that I have in a couple of dirt bikes and in a street bike simply refuse to fail. They also don't leak when that dirt bike is lying on the ground after a crash.

Yuasa NP7-12 Battery - Sealed Lead Acid

For long life, get a good tender. The $5.00 harbor Freight tenders will kill your battery after awhile. I have a couple of Genius charges and just love 'em.

NOCO G750 Battery Charger - Free Returns

Last edited:
I haven't tried one of the Shorai batteries yet. They seem pretty neat and I have not heard of any catching on fire.

The Yuasa sealed batteries that I have in a couple of dirt bikes and in a street bike simply refuse to fail. They also don't leak when that dirt bike is lying on the ground after a crash.

Yuasa NP7-12 Battery - Sealed Lead Acid

For long life, get a good tender. The $5.00 harbor Freight tenders will kill your battery after awhile. I have a couple of Genius charges and just love 'em.

NOCO G750 Battery Charger - Free Returns

I have 4 of these. And need another one now. They haven't missed a beat in 5 years.

021-0123

I will have to look at the sealed Yuasa battery.

Thanks, Tom.

Doug