Generator for Briggs 5 horse

I was just wondering if they offer a generator that will fit on a 5 horse briggs. I would like to add a headlight and tail light to my mini chopper so riding at night will be a little easier.

Jared

jeep4me

I've seen guys who have dual shaft briggs motors, modify a bicycle light generator and mount it on the 2nd shaft. It actually worked pretty good. Tecumseh had some generators mounted on older snowblowers (John Deere, for example) that mounted to the outside of the flywheel cover and had a shaft similiar to a speedometer shaft that attached to the nut that holds the flywheel on. I currently have one of these and will be putting it on one of my mini's. Good Luck.

delray

jeep4me,i thought of using the second pto(camshaft) for my generator,but it turns slowing and would have to use a very small sprocket. for example a 5ttor9tt sprocket. maybe it might spin fast enough?. something a person would have to try?
:scooter:....:thumbsup:

Last edited:
On my next one I'm going to use a jackshaft with a 10 tooth sprocket on one end and an old Z50 or CT70 flywheel on the other end. You can run lights with the lighting coil an run a tach off the points. You just have to have the same sprocket size on the clutch and jackshaft.

delray

lowdeuce,i never seen one on a briggs with a lighted coil on the pull starter like the tecumseh has. the pull starter on briggs is different and won't work?

delray

jimh,want does the z50 or ct70 look like and how big is it and what kind of voltage does it put out 6?-12volts?,ac or dcvolts?
:scooter:.........:thumbsup:

delray

here is couple of pictures of my bicycle generator i modifly and runs off the chain. i have a 12ttsprocket on the end of it and also a 3/4 high speed bearing built with the sprocket to take the full load,so all the generator has to do is spin.
moch up of it first

finish unit

purchase a bicycle generator kit with headlight and taillight$14
other parts$0.00
total cost $14
I have also been working with some led lights . leds take very little voltage to make them work. i modifly the headlight with a 3 cluster leds and works ok. but what i need is to have some leds pointing into the reflector to make it brighter. i found something on ebay that might work real good. this has a total of 5 leds and some pointing to the side.

:scooter:...............:thumbsup:

Last edited:

delray

if you really dont want to go through the headache trying to build a generator system of any kind. you could make it real easy on your self and just mount your lights and run it off a small sealed battery like this. it will last couple hours and then just recharge it. it will last long time if you use leds:thumbsup:

:scooter:.................:thumbsup:
i just like making things more mechanical:smile:

jimh,want does the z50 or ct70 look like and how big is it and what kind of voltage does it put out 6?-12volts?,ac or dcvolts?
:scooter:.........:thumbsup:
The Z50s and CT70s are the old small Honda bikes.I'm going to mount the stator plate with a jackshaft running the flywheel. They're 6 volt ac.Some even had charging systems. All the old dirtbikes had the same type of magnetos unless they had CDI ignition. Some may be 12 volt..The magneto plates with the coils are 5"-6" diameter and are stationary.They are under/behind the flywheel. Magnets are on the inside of the flywheel.

Last edited: