Getting a VIN for a home made bike in Kansas

chrisr

I was able to get a VIN and tags today for my bike that I built from scratch. Below are some lessons learned. Please do not use this as an complete or exhaustive list, just some things I found helpful in Kansas.

1. Save all receipts even if someone gives you parts for free - get a receipt.
2. Take pre pictures of what you are proposing to work on as well as any designs that you may have drawn or done on the computer.
3. Itemized out all the costs on a summary Word doc or Excel spreadsheet that lists the parts and prices as sub totals as well as a total cost at the bottom of doc/sheet. Put all receipts from each place you bought in separate piles like place a, b, etc... and staple them together with the letter or number referenced on the top of that receipt pile from within your summary sheet. For example, they want to see the steel that you used to make your frame they would just have to go to one stapled pile of receipts.
4. Before staring your build, call the DMV and talk to the person if possible who will do the inspections to see if they have any specific things you need to bring when getting inspected or the items needed to make your bike street legal in that state.
5. Last but not least, it takes a while at the inspection office and DMV, so just plan to take the day off of work and make the best of it.

Hope this helps

Attachments

chrisr

Kansas just started a couple months ago using a sticker, but the inspector also used metal stamps since he already had them. Sounds like they want to only use stickers going forward.

Thanks for the tip! I have a bike that I want to build here in N.Y. over the winter, just not sure how it will go with our DMV? How is the power and take off with your bike?

chrisr

Seems to have good take off with a 6.67:1 gear ratio, 40 series clutch and the governed 420cc. Been raining and haven't been able to do a high speed run yet, hopefully this Friday. Any guesses for top speed?

chrisr

As an update, the weather clear up some and took the bike for a spin. 42 mph on the governor up or down hills (pretty flat around Wichita) and at 25 mph its nice to ride but at 35-42 mph you get engine vibes in the handlebars which having the motor mounted on rubber idolators would have been a good idea.

Well anyway, all other parts of braking, turning, acceleration and overall riding comfort were great.

chrisr

I changed the front sprocket from a 9 to 12 and now I can do 53 mph and overall feels better riding around the city at 40. With my next school break I will probably try a 14 front sprocket but in order to do that I have to move the jackshaft down about an inch to make room for the bigger sprocket. The 14 front sprocket along with the 60 tooth rear sprocket should yield about 65 mph.

The link down below seems pretty accurate in predicting the mph, at least for me.

https://electricscooterparts.com/motor-jackshaft-wheel-gear-ratio.html

chrisr

As an update, ending up with a 4.29 ratio using the 14 front and 60 rear sprockets for a 65 mph top speed with the VC460 vs. the 12/60 and Predator 420; should do a little more once the new motor is broke in. I also added 3/4" of rubber under the engine which was made from a mud flap cut in half and doubled up to reduce engine vibrations. Looking at new handlebar where I can add weight on the ends to further reduce vibrations.

Also re-did the gas tank to have a primary 1 gallon and 1/2 gallon reserve, LED headlight, B&S vacuum fuel pump, 2600 RPM driver springs, and two new mirrors however, the new mirrors, fuel pump, and 3/4 rubber under the engine are not in this picture.

Overall pretty happy with the VC460 and gear ratio.

Attachments

Do you have any pictures of you sitting on the bike, hands on the grips? I am curious of your stance as you are riding. Was it titled as a 2019 or as the year the donor bike was? I am curious about emission and safety standards being applied, I don't think that engine will pass federal motorcycle emission standards for 2019. I am guessing that the state chose not to follow/enforce federal standards.

chrisr

Do you have any pictures of you sitting on the bike, hands on the grips? I am curious of your stance as you are riding. Was it titled as a 2019 or as the year the donor bike was? I am curious about emission and safety standards being applied, I don't think that engine will pass federal motorcycle emission standards for 2019. I am guessing that the state chose not to follow/enforce federal standards.
Its titled as 2018 and I am 6"2" so it fits me well with a good feel and my feet stance is like a metric bike, but not cramped. The engine was titled with a Predator 420 non-EPA.

chrisr

I came across a cheap dirt bike with no motor and decided it was time to update the 2018 home built. With the new combo it does about ~ 52-55 mph vs. ~65-70 with the VC 460 but is much lighter in its new configuration and easier to push and move around the garage. Plus, the VC 460 was not setup with an electric starter and the stock 420 does not vibrate your teeth out :).

Attachments

Bird Brain

Seems to have good take off with a 6.67:1 gear ratio, 40 series clutch and the governed 420cc. Been raining and haven't been able to do a high speed run yet, hopefully this Friday. Any guesses for top speed?
Nice build. I like your spin on it.Rims from a GPZ?