Gilson Accesory Rack Find

This Gilson popped up locally, about 45 min away, and I scooped it up. Previous owner had this bike for 10 years and been sitting in his pole shed the last 2 years neglected. I went to pick it up and he had even washed it for me, he felt bad it was dusty and had bird crap on it, and right away I knew this was a keeper. I got it home and checked the oil and added fresh gas and after 3 pulls she popped to life and I was off and riding. Definitely a keeper. After some discussion with WI bike enthusiast we determined the rack to be an original Gilson accessory. The rack is in great shape and should clean up real well.

20170409_170434.jpg

20170409_170455.jpg

20170409_170504.jpg

capguncowboy

Nice find Chris. I wouldn't mind having a rack like that on my Gilson :drool:

You gonna keep that engine on there or put a Tec back on it?

delray

interesting that it has the rack on the bike, but it's a hardtail model and does not have the rear fill tank mount.

try to keep it more original looking........:thumbsup:

Holy Grail Find!!!! :bowdown:You, sir, have found the rarest part of all. I'd love to see more close-up pics of the rack, too. That makes one known original plus the 4 that I've fabricated.

Congratulations!

Last edited:
Wow this is really neat. I had no idea the scarcity of the rack. Just means I'll be keeping it. When I get some time I'll take some detailed measurements. Thanks for the feedback.

Wow this is really neat. I had no idea the scarcity of the rack. Just means I'll be keeping it. When I get some time I'll take some detailed measurements. Thanks for the feedback.
I haven't been around very long but as far as I know thats the first one thats been seen outside of a picture in a catalog. Too cool you actually found one so we know they did make them now. Thanks for sharing it.

The full exhaust with guard are rare but couple of them are known to be out there.

I was joking but as far as I know the last missing part is that sissy bar. I personally wouldn't want one on mine because nothing about it IMHO fits this style of bike but it would be cool wall art.

I agree. Although I would have reversed the bends to start at the leading mounting points and cut back slightly. I think I mentioned once before, a grab bar would look more fitting on a Gilson than either a 60s sissy bar or a rack.