Gilson -- bringing it back to life

capguncowboy

I picked up a Gilson bike last weekend. I finally had a chance to start working on it a little bit over the last few days. It's actually in really good shape -- even the bottoms of the fenders still have all their chrome. It was just really really dirty.

Over the weekend, I started disassembling and detailing it piece by piece. The chrome has spots of rust, but most of it seems to come off with a soft wire wheel brush in my drill.

One of the rear shocks had some pretty significant rust on it. It polished up decently enough that I've decided to just go this route for now, but it's missing a lot of chrome (Since the last photo, I've taken the shocks apart and cleaned them a little better, including a soak and proper polish -- pictures to come).

The front end of the bike is in much better condition. It has some pock marks where the rust was -- and still has those damned welds on the front plate though. I still plan on grinding those welds down and having it welded on the back of the plate instead, but there will still be holes in the plate.

Turns out, the paint is much worse condition than I thought it was. There are lots of nicks, scratches, scrapes and wear on the paint. What is there is stained in places and not cleaning up at all. I was originally planning on keeping this bike original. However, like usual, I'm starting to feel like doing a full restoration might be the proper way to go. That means paint and finding the missing parts.

Does anyone know the proper paint color for this bike? Would it be privy to just go with a Dark metallic green, or would that be sacrilege?

The jackshaft assembly had been molested pretty severely. The one-way sprocket had been welded in place and the two speed clutch was gone. I've already ordered and received a new Comet two speed jackshaft and the two speed clutch is on its way (thanks Joker!). The new assembly is too short to use, and the old jackshaft assembly is so badly corroded that I couldn't get the old sprockets off of it. I went ahead and ordered a new jackshaft from OldMiniBikes. It should be here in the next couple of days.

I guess if I'm going to do a proper restoration, I need to locate the proper shroud for the engine, the tail light cover (good luck, right?) and the chain guard that goes from the jackshaft to the rear sprocket. I think everything else is there (besides new brake and throttle cables).

Last edited:
:thumbsup: It already looks ten times better. My "opinion" is that if you are going to go through all the trouble to strip, prep, and paint the bike- as well as obtaining replacement pieces, you might as well get it as close as you can to the original color.

Having said that, it is easy to tell where you've cleaned up the paint. I'd hit it with rubbing compound, then wax. Just my opinion.

capguncowboy

:thumbsup: It already looks ten times better. My "opinion" is that if you are going to go through all the trouble to strip, prep, and paint the bike- as well as obtaining replacement pieces, you might as well get it as close as you can to the original color.

Having said that, it is easy to tell where you've cleaned up the paint. I'd hit it with rubbing compound, then wax. Just my opinion.
Even with all the missing paint? I just don't want to spend 4-5 hours cleaning and waxing the paint... and it still look the same. I mean, I know it will look cleaner, but the missing paint is my biggest concern.

Something I forgot to mention. The engine does appear to be correct after looking at numerous photos of other bikes, but the shroud is wrong. I am confident I can find a period and color correct shroud. I can't get the aluminum flywheel off to check the points and condensor though. I've tried putting a board on the threads and wacking it. I've tried gently taping the back of it. I haven't tried soaking it with PB blaster yet. I wanted to make sure that was advisable before I did. Any suggestions?

Even with all the missing paint? I just don't want to spend 4-5 hours cleaning and waxing the paint... and it still look the same. I mean, I know it will look cleaner, but the missing paint is my biggest concern.
Well, as many here will attest, I have always been a fan of new paint. A recent acquisition has caused me to reassess how I view original paint, and to at least try and restore it before deciding on a new coating.

Either way, this is a neat bike, and has a loyal following. Matching the paint should be straight forward.

capguncowboy

Matter of fact, you posted a question like that before. :thumbsup:

Doing the Boonie, I keep thinking WWMD. (What would Markus do) Spill enough chain oil, that rust don't matter.
:laugh: wwmd is probably a good slogan when it comes to this stuff

I went out and bought a high-speed buffer. I've been wanting one anyway, so this was a good enough reason to justify it. I'll buff it up tomorrow and go from there.

Marcus would restore it for about $40 , looking good capgun :thumbsup:
I wasn't making a joke. He does some good work, both in the restoration and paint. Mark G comes to mind as well as a few others with regard to keeping it original. (Many more here paint of course)

I was talking to Derek once about the fine line between restoring and repainting. It's a blurred one.

buckeye

I ended up just cleaning all of the crap I could off of what was left.
Was a "pussy" and didn't paint nothing.
I covered everything in wd40, shined it up as well as I could and called it a survivor with a clone.:laugh:

markus

I went out and bought a high-speed buffer. I've been wanting one anyway, so this was a good enough reason to justify it. I'll buff it up tomorrow and go from there.

I'd probably part it out :laugh: what the heck are you going to use a high speed buffer on? your gonna fling that frame across your shop with it :scared:

capguncowboy

I ordered a Gilson owner's manual off of Ebay last night. Afterwards, I saw it was a copy. Honestly, I'm fine with it being a copy as long as it's legible. I'm more or less after the parts list and exploded view. I doubt it will help find parts (like the tail light lens) but you never know. For $8.00, I figured it was worth a shot.

I got the replacement jackshaft today. I went ahead and swapped over the Comet components. For now, they'll stay there. But after I get them in the position they need to be in, I'll mark everything up and cut grooves for the snap rings.

capguncowboy

Over the last few days, I was able to get out to the garage and work on the Gilson. I took the entire bike apart, piece by piece. I cleaned up what I could, and wire wheeled the bolts and nuts one by one until they shined.

The motor plate was caked in grime. I used a little bit of degreaser to break it up and it wiped right off. The paint on that part of the frame is in really good shape, no doubt from having a protective layer of crud on it.

Once I got it all cleaned up, I started reassembly. The new jackshaft wasn't wanting to go into the bearings. It took some coaxing to get it into place, but once I did, I was able to mark and cut the grooves for the snap rings.

So everything is back together now with the exception of the rear wheel, gas tank, and the engine. It looks great. The cleaning didn't make the paint look much better, but the chrome and bolts look worlds apart from where they started.

I did take some time to work on the motor. I wasn't able to get the flywheel off previously. I had tried all the tricks, including putting a block of wood on the crank and smacking it with a hammer. I ended up ordering a gear puller and it pulled right off. The points were really dirt. I don't think it had ever been cleaned. I cleaned everything up and got it all put back together. The carb was really dirty. It had dirt in the fuel line connection. I keep old guitar strings and was able to use an E string to clean it out. I took all the tidbits apart and cleaned everything as thoroughly as possible -- then I cleaned it again using carb cleaner. I had an extra kit in the garage, so I changed out what I could. I still haven't ran gas through it to make sure it's working correctly though. The motor now runs on Starter Fluid spray.

I am hoping to get the motor back on this week and have it riding by next weekend.

Next up on the to-do list is getting the inside of the gas tank cleaned up. It's pretty badly rusted.

I also need to swap the front wheel to the rear. The front wheel has some broken bolts and a broken socket or two. It's strictly cosmetic, so hiding it behind the brake hub or the sprocket is ideal. Eventually, I'll pick up another wheel and replace it, but for now, I'll make do with what I've got.

Pictures to come!

It's too bad that there is no such thing as magical paint restorer. Would you just repaint or keep it this way? I feel like it's too far gone.

I am really surprised at the condition of the grips and footpeg covers. A little scraping on the footpegs, but they're very usable.

Last edited: