Go kart chain and wheel question?

I got a free one wheel peel go kart, 3.5hp Briggs, my daughter was riding it and after about 30 seconds it threw a chain, the wheel side with the sprocket on it fell off, I found the nut but when I put the wheel and sprocket back on the threads on the axle are flush with the outer bearing, what can be wrong or what am I missing? I'll get pics tomorrow if that will help, just want to get this figured out for the kiddos if I can. Thank you for any advice.

Bird Brain

Is it a "live axle" or one wheel drive? Meaning if up on blocks if you turn one wheel by hand would the other spin aswell? That would be a live axle and if so its possible it slid over through the set collars during the event. If its a one wheel drive perhaps the bearing in the other side of the wheel that came off also is no longer pressed in the rim and acting as a spacer. Appears the right distance off. Hope this might help give some insight for you.

It is one wheel peel, the bearing is pressed all the way in, got it for free, daughter rode it for about 1 minute and the chain flew off and the wheel fell off, couldn't get it back on

Bird Brain

Ya dumb me after i thought about it it wouldnt have bearings on a live axle. Hmmm. Does seem an odd occurence. Il ponder this. Obviously something moved.

Ya dumb me after i thought about it it wouldnt have bearings on a live axle. Hmmm. Does seem an odd occurence. Il ponder this. Obviously something moved.
I thought the same but the axle is solid mount with threaded ends ao I have no idea what happened, but that nut was definitely on that side when I got it lol

Triley41395

I thought the same but the axle is solid mount with threaded ends ao I have no idea what happened, but that nut was definitely on that side when I got it lol
Maybe a dumb question, but both sides of the rim are still bolted together? It didn't shear the bolts allowing the rim to separate? If the axel didn't move then I would think it would have to have something to do with the rim.

Wheel was like that, chain lines up perfect but can't get the nut on, I guess I'm going to have to cut the axle and weld a new bolt on it

Maybe a dumb question, but both sides of the rim are still bolted together? It didn't shear the bolts allowing the rim to separate? If the axel didn't move then I would think it would have to have something to do with the rim.
It appears that it is still bolted together fine

After another round of unbolting the sprocket it appeared fine, I let the air out of the tube and sure enough the bolts were bad so I bolted it back together and all is good now! I appreciate your help!

After another round of unbolting the sprocket it appeared fine, I let the air out of the tube and sure enough the bolts were bad so I bolted it back together and all is good now! I appreciate your help!

Harquebus

I was hoping this was going to be one of those problem-solution-learning threads but I don't exactly know what happened.

The problem wheel in photo #1 looks like the rim exploded but the extreme closeup and caked on mud makes for an indecipherable photo.
Oh well...