Go kart info

So my youngest boy bought this cart awhile back. On the road no issues off road around corn fields and such cant seem to keep the chain on. Engine is as far forward as it'll go. They're is no chain tensioner. Possibilities are add washers to raise the motor?? Design some kinda tensioner. Make and model are unclear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Move the engine all the way back, remove a link from your chain & retention.

Or use a half link (offset link).

Are you sure it's aligned properly?

Last edited:
yes sir id say frame flex big part of it ,. I installed two dirt kart plastic sprocket protectors one on each side of bottom sprocket it works like a guide then you don't have to have your chain bango string tight ..the motors a little bigger and heavier than orig techumshe... or briggs .and hard bouncing .not good .try letting couple pounds air outa rear tires ..might help might not ... lol

You also might want to check the condition of the jackshaft sprocket. If it's worn it'll throw the chain under heavier loads,not so much on a lighter load.

Couldn't get chain to pop off by hand. No problems just going down dirt road. Seems bumps throw it off small sprocket seems in good shape no wobbles however big sprocket wobbles in several spots but only slight. What gets is drives fine till taken off road. Wonder if just adding new chain and rigging some kinda spring chain tensioner

Hm maybe small sprocket is bad. That would suck cause it appears to be welded on will add better pics

I think maybe it looks like when they welded the motor plate and frame back together there off a little or motor plate is bent twisted or you may have another crack under frame where you cant see it .. inspect it good cracks and might even have to shim up one side of motor with a washer or two ..just some more ideas suggestions ..

Motor plate is not welded to frame. Should it be?? Got everything re-aligned. Tires off the ground chain stayed on also chain is slight snug about 1.4 to 3/8 play. Drove around yard another 10min no issue didn't want to push it far.test 3 took it down the dirt road back and forth another 5min or so. Test 4 and failure chain pops off to much to go farther is when I took it down 2track bumps,roots and loose rock. It seems when the torque converter is really trying to grab while off road is when there's to much slop in chain again and contently comes off. So back to square 1 weld the u channel engine mount to frame?? Also figure a way to add a spring loaded chain tensioner??

I do see the repair -weld and that may affect it. However,that front sprocket looks bad . I had almost the same problem on a Tri-Sport of mine. If my son-in-law rode it ( 270#) and hit a bump off came the chain...I could ride it (170#) no problem till I hit the trails,,then same problem. I replaced front & rear with new chain BAM problem gone..been 2 years now:thumbsup:

Now that I look closer to your last pic,that chain does look to have alignment issues. Without seeing it in person about all we can do if give you a list of things to check. Does the rear axle bearings have slop ? Does that motor mount channel have any slop ? Are the bearings worn in jackshaft ? Is the chain junk ? These are all possible problem areas .

little tip on that fuel line... gas doesnt like to travel upwards against gravity. also that long is bound to get grabbed by a stick and yanked off... shorten it up and try to give it a nice downward slope to the carb with minimal upward action

as far as the chain issue, you dont want to weld the motor plate to the kart you will lose all adjustment. as everyone else said, check all your bearings for play, make sure the sprocket isnt sloppy on the shaft, move the motor plate all the way back and take out a link.

you could also add a spring or adjustable tensioner but you dont need it if you sort out your actual problem

i would also go over that frame and check for cracks, i can see its been repaired several places, it may can use some bracing to minimize frame flex

motor plate is most commonly called the thing the motors bolted to it should have four slotted holes ., if its not welded to frame you have big problems or you have to have a swing mount with a damper .. your kart is rigid frame rigid axle no shocks .. it might be ok for normal yard karting but not for severe off roading its just not made for it .. don't get discouraged go karts are really neat .. you will figure it out ..

mrtwister you aren't looking at it right. hes got a secondary plate for his TAV secondary jackshaft thats sandwiched between his motor and the frame's slotted mounts. if he welded that he would lose his chain adjustment

you can still do a good bit of offroading even with this solid frame kart. some gussets will help. and you could very easily cut it off behind the seat, hinge it and add shocks.

the front end is the bigger weak point. can be easily replaced with some ATV parts for a mean machine on the cheap

Last edited:
Not sure I follow on the gussets. Cut what out and add hinges to what. Sorry not following you. After today gonna replace rear axle and front shaft when I find correct sized parts looks like eBay OldMiniBikes and bmikarts didn't quite see sizes I needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's only 1 mount if I understand what your saying the jack shaft is welded onto the engine mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: