Got a new electric Go Kart ''winter'' project idea rolling around in my head.

I74

Added,,

All right Mariah,, you talked me into it . :D

Just got off the phone with my Buddy Fred, that I' am building the other Kart for ,, & he's all up for going with 3 packs ea.
Am going to probably order 2 more pks. within the week. ;)

Last edited:
The more I read, the more interested I become in your way cool project.

Tell me, to allow for more battery packs, could the batteries not be mounted behind or beside your seat as they do for gas powered engines ?

That would get them out of your way completely, and perhaps allow for additional expansion.

(edit) I just went back and looked at more of your cart pictures, given the current configuration, my suggestion may not be possible, but just wanted to get it out there.

I74

Thanks ! :)

There is reasons why you want the packs mounted there Robert.

The first reason, is for balance,, like for a gas tank position on a racing Kart.
A gallon of fuel is 8lbs.
All 3 of these packs together will weigh about 13lbs.
With my fat @$$,, most of the weight is aft anyway,, so that positioning should get the balance pretty good.

The 2nd reason, is because of the controller that's going to mounted behind the packs,, ''between the back of them & the steer column tubes'',, & you want to keep the wires as short as possible,, for optimum ''minimal'' resistance ect. ;)

Also putting them there,, you don't have to make trays & mountings ect.

Last edited:

I74

Got some goodies delivered today.:cool:

Made an order with Comet Karts sales, & ''Rex'' really hooked me up,, with an actual ''very light weight- un used'' Coyote front bumper that he had hanging in back,,, for 15 bucks ! :p

Also received,, alum. front wheel spacers, 4 alum. axel collars,, & a rear ''light weight''/close out - Mach1 bumper,,, that I will have to modify to make it fit.

Master cyl. kit came yesterday, & have yet to button that up also.

Lastly,,
Went to Wally world & picked up a 10pk. of storage containers in the clearance section for 5 bucks,, & 2 packs fit pretty much perfect in the first one I did,, & just had to cut it down a bunch.
Then while looking in the kitchenware isle, I stumbled across these ice cube bins,, for a buck ea. LOL
The top pack fits in that nicely ,, just had to cut it down also, & start painting it.
Bought Fred one too. :D

Going out of town tomorrow,, & won't be back up here till Thurs. aft.

Am hoping to get it on the floor Fri. & actually ''finally'' sit in it !
Might even roll it down the driveway unpowered also, once I get the brakes done,, just to kind of check it out. ;)

Hope to see the motors ect. next week ...

I
100_6578.JPG 100_6579.JPG

Last edited:

I74

More progress...
Finally set it on the ground & sat in it,, ''OOPS''.. Had to re configure & slide the seat back around 2 1/2 in.
Family jewels were right up against the bottom of the steer wheel .o_O lol
Modified the back Mach 1 bumper to fit ,with adding a cut down finished alum tube from a boat place in IN.
Also roughly Mocked up the motor & ESC.

PS,,
Sorry the pics suck,, camera is jacked up.
100_6590.JPG + 100_6589.JPG 100_6591.JPG

Last edited:

I74

You all have to remember that this is a ''vintage'' race Kart chassis- resto/ ''highly modified''- elect. brushless conversion prototype.

I74

No Sir 174, you stand corrected Sir!
That thing is totally BADA$$ only one thing i would change on it...into my possession! :cool:

Way cool kart sir, with it bein electric makes even more so Bada$$!!!
Thank you Mark & everyone.
It's been ''a lot'' of frigg'n work,, & still got more to go...
Throttle pedal assy. & mounting,, is the next re - engineering feat.
Then I have wiring harnesses to build ect. ect. ect.
I try & do something on it everyday,, regardless of how miniscule or major.
Don't want to rush it,, I'll get there ….

Added,,

Mark,
If someday the Kart needed to find a new home,, you would have first dibs on it, because of how much you like & appreciate it.

I

Last edited:

I74

It's ready for the maiden !! :)

Everything works fine, just waiting on the brake light assy...

It rips pretty good on the lift,, with ''just'' 1 pack hooked up ! :p

Will post pics later on today after Fred comes over & helps me set it on the ground / roll outside,, & try it out hopefully,,, ''if it's not raining''. ;)

I74

Had a couple of Guys from IL. stop by today to buy the parts off our carts that we are not going to use.
The One Dude that I was originally talking to, is ''70'' years old,, & used to flat track race XR - 750 Harley's back in the day down in Daytona ect.., & has also been racing Karts since before Moby Dick was a Mino. LOL

Super cool Guy,, & ''still'' competitively races & ''wins'',, with Karts ,, in the vintage classes..
His race Kart is a 36hp. 2 stroke,, with a wik'ed tuned pipe. :p

Anyway,,,
They were all over my Kart,, & asked me to spool it up.
I did so, with the ''Cool Dude'' holding the back end up,, & ''only'' 1 pack plugged in.
He couldn't believe it, & said,, - ''that's only 1 pack'' !! :cool:

They also could not believe how light it was.
Cool Dudes Kart weighs only 134 lbs.,, & said mine felt tons lighter.

He then said my Kart was awesome,, & that I did an excellent job on it.
Other Guy said I made a good one. :rolleyes:

That means a lot with the Cool Dude,, & I got me a new friend. :)

I

Last edited: