Green Tote Gote Questions

Hello-

This green Tote Gote in the pictures needs a new belt and probably a front brake. I believe this is an early B model by the way the frame is welded up.

Sadly we don't have a lot of information about the clutch or whether a belt is available? Is there a cross-reference table available? The worn-out belt reads US Royal Speed 1180. The local shop told me to turn to the internet.

I tried to measure the outside diameter of the front hub and it looks like it is about 4". Is that something that can be worked on or replace he whole front wheel and hub?

Thanks for your input. Forums like this are extremely valuable. We're happy to share dimensions or information on the bikes or what we uncover as we get this machine running!

View attachment 56327

View attachment 56328

View attachment 56329

View attachment 56330

Measure the outside circumference of your belt. Most of the model B's use a belt that should measure around 42 1/2". A budget belt would be a Gates or Goodyear 1422V420. A Comet 203791 will cost more but will last longer. Your clutch is a Salsbury and is correct for a Model B.

Thank you

Richard, thank you very much for the quick reply.

My grandfather was a dealer for Tote-Gotes in the late 1950's or early 1960's. I don't have a lot of the history on how long he was a dealer but this Tote-Gote has been in the family since new.

Thank you again!

I wish we did! 40 years later we could sure use the parts to keep them running another 40 years.

I know there is a "story" of family member rescuing a stranded rider of another brand of bike out in the middle of nowhere. The straddled the broken bike across the back of the tote gote and drove it out to safety.

My dad recalls that soon after he got a tote gote, the first Trail 90's came out and that was the new toy to have.

Should have a new belt in the mail tomorrow or so. I'll let you know how it all goes back together. :thumbsup:

Update

Thanks to Richard's information: we were able to find a Goodyear 1422V420 on Amazon. Don't much know about how Amazon works or where they keep all their inventory but the belt was ordered using the "Prime" option. Basically, a little over a day later the rural mail guy showed up with the belt and delivered it to us. Awesome!

I got good a coated with 1960's grease slipping that belt on...adjusted the jack shaft for chain tension, and fired it up. Man...I haven't rode that bike since about 1985. It put a smile back on my face. And then it put a smile on my son's face.

Thank you Richard and thank you Old Mini Bikes forum!

Last edited: