H50 side cover

copyman

Side cover wont come off. I lightly sanded & oiled the shaft. Bell crank disconnected. It won't budge past like 1/4". Does the 2 nuts for the bearing have to come off? I didn't want to put anything in opening and score the metal were gasket goes. Any tricks to getting it off?

I attached a few pics.

Also after taking all screws out noticed one screw is longer. Need to know where it goes. Guess it will show in parts manual.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

mustangfrank

Side cover wont come off. I lightly sanded & oiled the shaft. Bell crank disconnected. It won't budge past like 1/4". Does the 2 nuts for the bearing have to come off? I didn't want to put anything in opening and score the metal were gasket goes. Any tricks to getting it off?

I attached a few pics.

Also after taking all screws out noticed one screw is longer. Need to know where it goes. Guess it will show in parts manual.

Thanks in advance for the help.
You answered your own question...yes, it is covered in the service manual, the two fasteners for the bearing need to be turned to release the side cover from the bearing.

There is only one boss on the side cover up top thicker than the rest, the longer bolt goes there. I find a piece of cardboard to push bolts through in the pattern I take them off a handy way to keep from getting them messed up.

Last edited:

copyman

You answered your own question...yes, it is covered in the service manual, the two fasteners for the bearing need to be turned to release the side cover from the bearing.

There is only one boss on the side cover up top thicker than the rest, the longer bolt goes there. I find a piece of cardboard to push bolts through in the pattern I take them off a handy way to keep from getting them messed up.

copyman

Hey mustang, thanks again for the help. I read the L head manual and must of missed it. they do cover a few engines in the manual and missed it. Also watched a few youtube videos but don't recall them having a bearing. I tried to familiarize & educate myself before starting a project. ha-ha din't do a good job educating myself this time.

copyman

Ok cover off and everything out of engine. I accidentally removed the nuts all the way from the bearing lock studs and studs fell off. I guess I need to put them back on side cover first, make sure they are unlocked then tighten when cover is put back on? do I put nuts on so they only have to be turned like half turn to lock and be tight?

Also I have new valves & springs, is it necessary to do that valve lapping? I'll read up on it but figured I would get opinion here first.

thanks again

Last edited:
Ok cover off and everything out of engine. I accidentally removed the nuts all the way from the bearing lock studs and studs fell off. I guess I need to put them back on side cover first, make sure they are unlocked then tighten when cover is put back on? do I put nuts on so they only have to be turned like half turn to lock and be tight?

Also I have new valves & springs, is it necessary to do that valve lapping? I'll read up on it but figured I would get opinion here first.

thanks again
Yes they will lock back when you tighten them up . Not really necessary to lap the valves if it was running OK ....but couldn't hurt either . That L-head manual is a big help .

copyman

Yes they will lock back when you tighten them up . Not really necessary to lap the valves if it was running OK ....but couldn't hurt either . That L-head manual is a big help .
Thanks. The valve lapping tool & paste is cheap enough so going to do it. Might be a stupid question, Do I use the new valves or old valves to lap the valve seats?

And now that I've read through the L head manual a few times it's starting to make sense. Just a little confusing covering vertical engines, etc. But realizing they are all basically serviced the same way.