half breed kinda thing

Ok maybe some one knows about this . Looking for info on a cop car transmission like 1970s 1980s . Its a auto and manual in park natural drive on the column in town gears ya know but getit out of town and tthere's a stick on the floor and manual gears. A real freek think its a ford not a common one was used in prisoner transport . Older not some computer thing springs and levers balls and gears .

Ok trying to decipher this. You have a ford transmission with a shifter on the column and the floor? You sure it's not a 4x4 and the floor shifter is for the transfer case?

It might help to post pics of the trans, and of the vehicle it came out of.
It could be some conglomeration that somebody threw together under something.

Roger

WLB

Sounds like someone converted an old cop car from auto to stick and didn't bother removing the column shift lever.

No pics and dont have one to get some of . Its a factory built thing your in town low speed gears are on the column just like automatic transmission in your everyday car . But the freek is get outside of town and you grab the stick shift and put it in road gears like a normal manual transmission . Was built for in town cops to be easy to use with the auto and with the manual transmission gears have good gas mileage on highway. Not your everyday transmission for sure . May have been in taxicabs .

That's what I thought to. An overdrive unit that can be engaged in low, 2nd and Drive but in a higher (more one to one) gear. I saw one firsthand on a manual transmission. He started in 1st, hit the overdrive then second normal then overdrive and on to third and overdrive. I was a teen back then and don't remember much else but I think the overdrive unit is connected to the rearend and not the tranny.

Well, there was the two-speed rears back in the day, but those were mostly used in trucks. Doesn't mean someone might not have thrown one under a squad car.
Metalman; did you actually look under the car, or just notice the two different shifters?

Roger

Last edited:
Well, there was the two-speed rears back in the day, but those were mostly used in trucks. Doesn't mean someone might not have thrown one under a squad car.
Metalman; did you actually look under the car, or just notice the two different shifters?

Roger
Seen it in a book but cant remember what book . It was a factory built rig not homemade billy bob thing .

Sounds to me like a Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive unit. Basically a bolt on overdrive for automatics that splits the gears.

Gear Vendors under/overdrive transmissions the most awarded auxiliary transmissions.
I think Mark hit the nail on the head! And there were 2 versions back when they first came out. One bolted on the back of the trans and the other replaced the pinion carrier on the third member of a 9 inch Ford.

I have a friend that is retired off of the South Carolina Highway patrol and he tells stories about Ford experimental parts. He is a car guy so I always take his stories as accurate. He said that you would get a new patrol car and it would have a designated experimental part sticker on it. They would run the cars a designated amount of miles. Then the men in the white lab coats from FO MO CO would come and remove the parts and replace them with new stock replacement parts. These test parts and cars never made it out of reach of the factory. Parts were changed long before the cars were decommissioned by the Highway patrol. He said Ford ended this practice in the middle 70's when they started building Patrol cars with 302's and single exhaust...... He also said that these late 70's Fords wouldn't run triple digits either. He stared in 1966 and retired in the 90's. Back when Law Enforcement was respected..... He said that the fastest and most enjoyable car that he ever had was a 1967 Ford Custom with the 428 PI. It had an experimental transmission in it and would break the tires at ever shift regardless of road speed. He said he could have cried when they came and took his trans and replaced it with a standard replacement.... It was gone at 10,000 miles.

I think Mark hit the nail on the head! And there were 2 versions back when they first came out. One bolted on the back of the trans and the other replaced the pinion carrier on the third member of a 9 inch Ford.

I have a friend that is retired off of the South Carolina Highway patrol and he tells stories about Ford experimental parts. He is a car guy so I always take his stories as accurate. He said that you would get a new patrol car and it would have a designated experimental part sticker on it. They would run the cars a designated amount of miles. Then the men in the white lab coats from FO MO CO would come and remove the parts and replace them with new stock replacement parts. These test parts and cars never made it out of reach of the factory. Parts were changed long before the cars were decommissioned by the Highway patrol. He said Ford ended this practice in the middle 70's when they started building Patrol cars with 302's and single exhaust...... He also said that these late 70's Fords wouldn't run triple digits either. He stared in 1966 and retired in the 90's. Back when Law Enforcement was respected..... He said that the fastest and most enjoyable car that he ever had was a 1967 Ford Custom with the 428 PI. It had an experimental transmission in it and would break the tires at ever shift regardless of road speed. He said he could have cried when they came and took his trans and replaced it with a standard replacement.... It was gone at 10,000 miles.
sounds like a possible answer its a weird trany design . Maybe a prototype may not have been on the street long . .Maybe ask your friend about it see if he heard about them

Probably not at all what you're thinking of, but I've always thought the Hurst/Olds Lightning Rods shifters are cool.

Those are the coolest things to look at in a street car. When working correctly pretty cool to drive.

If anybody ever asks you to adjust a set of them punch them in the face and walk off.