Half of a TAV? Or Jackshaft? HELP

Could really use some help figuring out how to get this kart rolling well. We've tried a couple different belt lengths, but the belts were V-shaped (symmetrical) and didn't move the driver clutch well.

The set up is a Comet 30 clutch with a Max Torque pulley clutch. I don't know if this will work together as a normal TAV, but don't really want to have to invest in a new TAV set up.

Any help and recommendations will be greatly appreciated (by me and my son).

Kart.jpg

cause the belts never gonna grab right on that.

here buy this,when it gets to your house,take the tav alum plate and sell it on here to someone.

put the driver and the driven on your cart and go enjoy it.
80 bucks solves your problems,and hey,free shipping.
Torque Converter 3 4" 30 Series 41 Replaces Comet 218353 TAV2 Mini Bike Go Kart | eBay
o and make sure you have the center to center/center of motor crank to center of driven unit at 6 -3/4 distance.
and then that belt will do its thing n not burn up.

Could really use some help figuring out how to get this kart rolling well. We've tried a couple different belt lengths, but the belts were V-shaped (symmetrical) and didn't move the driver clutch well.

The set up is a Comet 30 clutch with a Max Torque pulley clutch. I don't know if this will work together as a normal TAV, but don't really want to have to invest in a new TAV set up.

Any help and recommendations will be greatly appreciated (by me and my son).

View attachment 88763
Short answer ... it wont work well ever ..
The driver is a symmetrical pulley that needs tension on it to work, the driven will try to split apart to let the belt drop lower into the groove thus loosening the belt on the pulley.
The driven is asymmetrical it uses a different shape belt that the pulley.

But in the name of spending no money if you can jam the driven so it stays closed it may work enough to keep a kid happy for awhile but it will likely be slow ... maybe that's a good thing depending on the kid!

Short answer ... it wont work well ever ..
The driver is a symmetrical pulley that needs tension on it to work, the driven will try to split apart to let the belt drop lower into the groove thus loosening the belt on the pulley.
The driven is asymmetrical it uses a different shape belt that the pulley.

But in the name of spending no money if you can jam the driven so it stays closed it may work enough to keep a kid happy for awhile but it will likely be slow ... maybe that's a good thing depending on the kid!
no no no man dont ever advocate this level of wrongness. this is by far one of the worst mismatched setups ive seen yet

the belt clutch is for a solid pulley, same as a chain clutch. the TAV is a completely different animal. You could buy just the driver and the belt, but as ludicrous speed said you are better off buying the whole unit, using what you need and selling the aluminum backing plate.

no no no man dont ever advocate this level of wrongness. this is by far one of the worst mismatched setups ive seen yet

the belt clutch is for a solid pulley, same as a chain clutch. the TAV is a completely different animal. You could buy just the driver and the belt, but as ludicrous speed said you are better off buying the whole unit, using what you need and selling the aluminum backing plate.
I see your point and I too would open my wallet and buy the correct parts. In fact I have orderd 3 drivens, drivers and belts in the last 2 weeks.
This guy said "but don't really want to have to invest in a new TAV set up" so I suggested an alternative to spending money and if I were a broke kid again I would do the same. If it were unsafe I would not suggest it.
I fully understood what I was looking at when I replied.
Theres the right way, a wrong way and a jury rig way.

That being said ...

Note to the original poster ... JK is in fact correct ... the right way is the best way ...

Thank you for the great information. I bit the bullet and threw the $80 at it so that I can get this thing running for real. The TAV is coming today. Now to see if this will be as easy as bolting everything on and going, or if it means that I'll have to reconfigure the jackshaft and all.

the worst thing that could happen is you may need to use the included TAV plate instead of the one you have so that the belt length comes out right. just means you will have to sell your original instead of the new one

is that a yerf dog? the TAV plate looks like one.

the worst thing that could happen is you may need to use the included TAV plate instead of the one you have so that the belt length comes out right. just means you will have to sell your original instead of the new one

is that a yerf dog? the TAV plate looks like one.
Thank you. We got the TAV on last night and decided taking out the jackshaft that was there was the best move. We were then able to slide the engine to tighten the chain and get everything lined up. The included TAV plate worked perfectly once we got the right bolts for mounting.

I have no idea what brand/model it is; a C_list buy. I can't figure out how the guy had it running before given the belt and pulley mismatch. At this point, I'm just excited that it is working well and my son is going to be spending the next weeks riding on it day and night!! Good stuff.