Have some questions on this Briggs

This 5hp engine came with the manco streaker and he told me it was his go cart engine. He said the carb popped when you tried to start it and it sounds like timeing.

1. I haven't looked under the bearing for the mark on the gear but is the crank mark supposed to line up the same too?

2. What do I need to do on the flywheel to covert it back over to a rope pull? All I have is the cover and couldn't find a used recoil assembly and it's different from my other briggs. :doah:

3, The guy had gold washers spacing the cover THEN he gooooooed gasket crap all over the place to make up the difference. WHY? Also found gold shavings in the oil.

4. Since this is a bearing engine, is it more likely a high performance Briggs?

BTW, the Gove was inside but the linkage on the outside was missing.

If I could get answers for 1-4, that would be great. Thanks GTO

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
1. Yes there is a dot on the crank and cam gear. They must b lined up together.

2.There is a pull start setup for your motor. You just have to go a local lawn mower shop and get the correct one.

3.The person who had it before you maybe had a oil leak problem and just put a lot of sealer around the case to make sure it doesn't leak. The "gold shavings" may be from the bronze insert on the mag side were the crank goes into. That's the only thing I can think of that color inside the motor.

4. Just because it has bearing doesn't mean anything. It could be, and most likely a regular briggs I.C. motor. They a just a bit better then a standard model.

Thanks MDB, I think he might have put washers in because of drag on the bearing, when I put the cover on tight without a gasket it gragged when cranking but if I backed it off a couple 1000ths it was fine. Didn't want to waste a new gasket until I clean it out and it may need two gaskets.

Will the bearing come staight out without any problems? I'm glad it was just a timing problem.

gto, on the cam timing im not sure how to say this but here goes. in the pic you have the crank turned so the dot on the crank is visable above the bearing. i think this is wrong. if i remember rite you turn the crank so the dot is visable below the bearing and the cam should line up. it is made to time with the bearing installed. also check the flywheel key and check the valve spring retainers to make sure the valve stem didnt pull thru it. i had that happen once and it pop'ed out the carb. on the side cover you should install one .015 gasket, then check crank end play. if its to tight add the thin gasket shims til its right.:scooter:

gto, on the cam timing im not sure how to say this but here goes. in the pic you have the crank turned so the dot on the crank is visable above the bearing. i think this is wrong. if i remember rite you turn the crank so the dot is visable below the bearing and the cam should line up. it is made to time with the bearing installed. also check the flywheel key and check the valve spring retainers to make sure the valve stem didnt pull thru it. i had that happen once and it pop'ed out the carb. on the side cover you should install one .015 gasket, then check crank end play. if its to tight add the thin gasket shims til its right.:scooter:
I checked and you're right, the dots do line up at the bottem side. I'm sure the key is messed up but I can't get the fly wheel off. :doah: BTW, I've never seen a valve stem retainer, nore have I seen a manual or how too book, but I'm getting there, these engines are so simple. :thumbsup: