Header or air filter

Ok, I'm on a tight budget so which one first, header or filter and jets? It's on a Doodle Bug with the 212cc Predator engine. Have to spread purchases out.

Fat Tony157

Personally, I noticed the biggest gain from the air filter and jet. Others could have had different experiences, but that's what I noticed. The header didn't seem to make much of a difference other than making it louder.

Really and truly you need to do them all at the same time for the engine to run the best. Start saving your money until you have enough to do them all.
Michael

Buy the header , remove the top plastic housing on air filter box to expose the filter element ( use spray filter oil ) and find some one to jet the carb for free , a lot of motorcycle shops will drill out your jet for free if you bring it to them , it's done by hand with a pin vise , literally takes less than a minute ! This will give you all you need for only the cost of the header ! Buy the air filter and adapter later . Or buy the jet with the header for like $3 . The more times you order parts the more shipping you'll likely pay too !

Get the header. I have found that a 1/32 drill bit is .03125" which might help if you need to drill and cant find the proper drill bits as a temp fix if your running lean after the header. For my jet I used mig welder tip cleaners. There little round files that can be found at lowe's and Home depot for around 4$. If you know any one that welds you might be able to borrow a set. Might be able to rob the filter off something else for a temp filter as well. I am using a 13 HP brigs filter on my motor that I got from Home depot. I had to cut the filter housing as it stick through the top. I like how it looks so might keep it this way.

jayvansickle, How much does a jet kit cost? I may be able to send you some cash for the cause.
Then you can buy the header and jet kit at the same time and save on shipping.
When you just replace the main jet and emulsion tube, the idle can be to lean. You should get a richer idle jet too or find someone to drill it for you.

Danford1

jayvansickle, How much does a jet kit cost? I may be able to send you some cash for the cause.
Then you can buy the header and jet kit at the same time and save on shipping.
When you just replace the main jet and emulsion tube, the idle can be to lean. You should get a richer idle jet too or find someone to drill it for you.

Danford1
Good man! What a generous offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAS289

What I did was get the filter, adaptor, e tube, a few stock jets, and the drill bits. I would only get a header if I was going to run a cam and high RPM. In my opinion a header on a governed stock engine is just noise. It would be like putting headers and dual exhaust on the family sedan.

Last edited:
simple i have done many of these you can go with the header first you will see a gain in performance then you can get the filter and jet kit later

From your other thread, it seems you haven't assembled the bike, yet, so I would say forget the header, filter and jet kit, for now. You may be surprised by the Predator/DB combo and not need any engine mods. I suggest you start with a stock Predator and a torque converter (AKA: CVT/TAV), which is what I'm going to do. When I was young, I liked my vehicles loud; eventually, I realized that attracts a lot of attention, usually the wrong kind! I think a torque converter would be more beneficial than a header, filter and jet kit, and the cost of those plus a clutch would be as much as a torque converter. You can always do intake/exhaust mods later.

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/147136-kid.html#post1133786

Last edited:
From your other thread, it seems you haven't assembled the bike, yet, so I would say forget the header and jet kit, for now. You may be surprised by the Predator/DB combo and not need any engine mods. I suggest you start with a stock Predator and a torque converter (AKA: CVT/TAV), which is what I'm going to do. When I was young, I liked my vehicles loud; eventually, I realized that attracts a lot of attention, usually the wrong kind! I think a torque converter would be more beneficial than a header and jet kit, and the cost of those plus a clutch would be as much as a torque converter. You can always do intake/exhaust mods later.

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/147136-kid.html#post1133786
I 2ND that !

When you guys say header, do you mean just the pipe or pipe and muffler? Just wondering because I see a lot of header only for sale.
Oz

I bet someone is going to tell me that a Predator with stock intake and exhaust combined with a TAV won't fit in a DB frame because the rear of the engine needs to be raised for the TAV to fit. Wasn't thinking about that possibility at the time (post #13).

The original poster hasn't been back since he posted the question.
I wonder what he decided to do?
Danford1
He did not even have the decency and courtesy to even acknowledge all of the member replies he received, (much less) actually THANK them! Not very grateful it seems...
Michael