Heald Hauler....Project "Time Burglar"

What's so cool about these machines are all the great parts that are made just for them like the brake system, That fantastic gear box and the differential. I have never had the chance to ride on but they look like a fun ride for sure and come with enough HP to do some serious work.
Steve :scooter:

What's so cool about these machines are all the great parts that are made just for them like the brake system, That fantastic gear box and the differential. I have never had the chance to ride on but they look like a fun ride for sure and come with enough HP to do some serious work.

That is one of the reasons I decided to use the stock brake system, I didn't want to have to fab anythimng up as far as brackets and such. We used it around the yard for a couple weeks, built some gardens for the wife and hauled some dirt and even all beat to hell it worked real good- plenty of power:thumbsup:.

Your differential looks different from mine. Do you know what year your Hauler was made? I think mine is a 1982.
The date code on the engine is 1983, so I assume around that time frame? Looking through some old brochures I have seen both diff types.

Great Job :thumbsup: Sure was looking beat when you got it. Atleast by restoring it youll know everything is good and not wearing itself out like that keyway. Should be relatively maintinence free for many years to come

Great Job :thumbsup: Sure was looking beat when you got it. Atleast by restoring it youll know everything is good and not wearing itself out like that keyway. Should be relatively maintinence free for many years to come
Thanks:thumbsup:, that's what I was thinking too. After tearing into it I decided that I only wanted to do this once, and if I only fixed the worn chain I'd be constantly working on this thing when it breaks down. This way I get it all out of the way up front:laugh:.

You are doing a fantastic job. I bought one exactly like your about a year ago and have ordered some parts from Ron, he is a great guy. I have a question, if you are that far along. Mine has the 11HP brigs and I need a picture of the throttle cable connection to the carb. For the life of me, I can't figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Looks great so far Mark!! Nice job! Will it make an appearance at Symco next year?
Thanks Tom, I hope so!
Looks Sharp :thumbsup:
And Mark G you now know what makes the machine tick and that has much value.

You are doing a fantastic job. I bought one exactly like your about a year ago and have ordered some parts from Ron, he is a great guy. I have a question, if you are that far along. Mine has the 11HP brigs and I need a picture of the throttle cable connection to the carb. For the life of me, I can't figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Ron has been a huge help. Welcome to the forum, lets see some pics of your Hauler.
Mine has the opposed twin 16HP, I believe the carb and throttle connection would be different. I've gotten a little farther with the project, just have to get out to the shop to take some more pics.

Well winter is here in full swing and of course the hauler isn't done yet. Big surprise. I did get it to roller status by the end of October, but winter (and everything else) have gotten in the way. I loaded a bunch of pics a little while back but it looks like they were lost in the changeover:confused:

Guess I'll try again...

I originally blasted the wheels and shot a quick coat on them but the old tires looked like total crap. They held air but the cracks were huge, and the front tire was the wrong size, and it turns out the front rim was bent pretty bad anyway. I ended up using the wheels from the parts Tryke, they were pretty crusty but nice and straight.

After a trip through the blast cabinet they came out nice and clean..

I ended up putting new rubber on the rear, and the front is a nice used tire with a tube inside. I had originally planned on using the rear tires for my Super Bronc, they are only two ply so we will see how well they hold up.

I also had new decals made up:thumbsup:

The latches for the bed are very simple, basically a bolt with two nuts to space it out. lot's of friction.

After repainting and straightening, when I reassembled the latches I added some flat washers and a little grease to aid in the movement, works nice and smooth now:thumbsup:

Where would you park it:lol:

Found some more old pics, ahh warmer times, we haven't seen the sun around here in weeks....

Check out how the original decal was sun burned in the paint:blink:

GO Mark GO! Looking super slick!
Great stuff Mark.:thumbsup:
I sure thought you would be using this to haul firewood this year.:laugh:
Looking sharp! Great work, Mark! :thumbsup:
Looking good, who made the decals?
Thanks guys:thumbsup:. No more hauling firewood for me, my insurance agent made me get rid of the woodburner in the shop. It's just as well, it was pretty high maintenance, not to mention the dust and ash everywhere. I had Trailhopper do the decals, he made a few extra and I think he's had them available on ebay.