Heald Super Bronc VT-8

Sprocket86

Going to make a road trip to Michigan to pick this up. Seller thinks its a 1974 VT-8 model. I have always wanted one of these and they are almost next to impossible to find up here in Ontario Canada.

This one is very complete and has 90% of the correct parts. I love the remote mounted "Nelson" exhaust system on these.

I have a large 3+ acre property with farm fields and dirt roads galore. I am a tall rider (6'5") my property is pretty bumpy so I am hoping these ride smooth. The original chevron balloon tires are weather cracked but still hold air.

How do these bikes ride and handle? I am hoping this will be one of the best "mini" bikes I have ever owned.
IMG_1482.jpeg

PatrickCraik

I've never ridden one but have owned and ridden lots of others,one with huge tires, a Bird Terra Torque. They all ride bumpy on rough surfaces, short wheelbase, relatively small wheels and no trans make it fun,lol! If you're looking for something "smooth" you might want to pass on this and get a dirtbike. If you wanna be a kid again, buy it, hit the throttle and hold on, seriously,lol!

toomanytoys

I find they ride ok if they have the correct shocks on the seat. Most shocks sold as mini bike shocks are WAY too stiff!

Handling. Well they are a cumbersome beast! Especially at low speeds. With proper round shoulder tires they handle fine but it takes some getting used to. I can roll around on mine through the woods just creeping along at 5mph all day.

I love riding mine. It’s a blast. A properly running HM80 with a properly operating TAV on them makes for a fun torquey ride. Mine will rip the front wheel off the ground with just a slight tug on the bars from a stand still. I’ve climbed some pretty impressive hills with it as well.

im not sure what your experience is with vintage bikes but they are certainly a labor of love. I bought mine for 300 dollars in 2010 and I’ve spent another 1000 to make it the way I wanted.

Sprocket86

I've never ridden one but have owned and ridden lots of others,one with huge tires, a Bird Terra Torque. They all ride bumpy on rough surfaces, short wheelbase, relatively small wheels and no trans make it fun,lol! If you're looking for something "smooth" you might want to pass on this and get a dirtbike. If you wanna be a kid again, buy it, hit the throttle and hold on, seriously,lol!

When I first was looking at a large fat tire mini bike I really had my eye on a El Burro, Trapper or Wards T-777. Someone on a FB group said "you better like a bumpy ride" and mentioned that any fat tire mini without any suspension is going to bounce around a lot. Hence my decision to go with the full suspension Heald bikes. LOL, I hear ya...I have a KTM 300 so I know what smooth suspension is all about. Love PDS suspension. I'm 36 so I got lots of kid left in me lol.

Sprocket86

I find they ride ok if they have the correct shocks on the seat. Most shocks sold as mini bike shocks are WAY too stiff!

Handling. Well they are a cumbersome beast! Especially at low speeds. With proper round shoulder tires they handle fine but it takes some getting used to. I can roll around on mine through the woods just creeping along at 5mph all day.

I love riding mine. It’s a blast. A properly running HM80 with a properly operating TAV on them makes for a fun torquey ride. Mine will rip the front wheel off the ground with just a slight tug on the bars from a stand still. I’ve climbed some pretty impressive hills with it as well.

im not sure what your experience is with vintage bikes but they are certainly a labor of love. I bought mine for 300 dollars in 2010 and I’ve spent another 1000 to make it the way I wanted.
Himm interesting and good to know. Hopefully the rear shocks are not too stiff on this one.

I figured it would handle on the "heavy" side no doubt compared to a typical 6" wheel bike. This one has the original chevron tread tires. Something tells me they only look cool lol. I'll need to get some new 22x11-8 knobby tires at some point.

Nice and glad to hear that. I have always thought a big block Tec would be a great mini bike engine on the right sized frame. This bike has the correct jackshaft and torque converter backplate with built in band brake.

I have owned several over the years and I totally agree. Hopefully this one doesn't spiral out of control as I really like to tinker and prefect these things.

I own a 1974 VT-B Super Bronc. The RIDE is decent enough (for a minibike). Manuvering/turning/handling (especially on tight turns) during trail riding is not so good, however, and is a bit challenging. Can of like driving a big bus or truck on on a narrow winding mountain road. "toomanytoys" (see his post above) used the correct description with the words "cumbersome beast."
Michael

Sprocket86

I own a 1974 VT-B Super Bronc. The RIDE is decent enough (for a minibike). Manuvering/turning (especially on tight turns) during trail riding is not so good, however, and is a bit challenging. Can of like driving a big bus or truck on on a narrow winding mountain road. "toomanytoys" (see his post above) used the correct description with the words "cumbersome beast."
Michael
I figure one of these big bikes is going to take some wrestling at lower speeds. I have a pretty open property with a few trails so it should be good.

chrisr

I have several large minibikes like the Super Bronc and love them. They are great in the snow and mud and a little bouncy but all-around fun off road. However, the clearance between the rear tire and fender can sometimes be a problem with the Bronc (packing snow/mud between tire and fender). Keep us posted on your Bronc experiences.

Sprocket86

I have several large minibikes like the Super Bronc and love them. They are great in the snow and mud and a little bouncy but all-around fun off road. However, the clearance between the rear tire and fender can sometimes be a problem with the Bronc (packing snow/mud between tire and fender). Keep us posted on your Bronc experiences.
Very cool and good to know. Have you ever owned or ridden a Trapper 2 stroke fat tire mini bike? I love riding my mini bikes in the snow and this in one of the main reasons i want to get one.

Himm interesting and I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Will do for sure. I plan on making a post when I get it home tomorrow.

toomanytoys

I have owned several over the years and I totally agree. Hopefully this one doesn't spiral out of control as I really like to tinker and prefect these things.
that’s my big problem. Correct parts for old bikes aren’t being made anymore and aren’t getting any cheaper either! I gave up on restoring or reviving old bikes. I love the ones I have but I won’t add anymore.

kayde

Not only are the broncs fun to ride they are very purposeful utility wise if you have the hitch.

74 vt8 super bronc started life as a daily milk hauler on the farm, now it basically only hauls us tools around.

I saved the oe shocks and am using honda z50 they are shorter and softer and can still handle two up if need be.

Both my boys learned to ride on it and we have definitely use abuse and enjoyed it over the years.

I love my vt-8 Super Bronc.

It's the best riding mini I've ever been on.

It doesn't know if it's a tractor or a street bike.

I've been in mud very deep during some of the Windber deluges...just point it and go.

And out on the road, you open er up and she rolls !

My favorite mini.

My 12 year old son won't hardly get off of it so that I can ride ! Makes me smile to watch him ride it.

Last edited:
Not only are the broncs fun to ride they are very purposeful utility wise if you have the hitch.

74 vt8 super bronc started life as a daily milk hauler on the farm, now it basically only hauls us tools around.

I saved the oe shocks and am using honda z50 they are shorter and softer and can still handle two up if need be.

Both my boys learned to ride on it and we have definitely use abuse and enjoyed it over the years.
I think it's so cool how there was so many different options available for these and the trailer hitch is definitely one of them.

I bet a lot of these bikes were originally sold to farmers and large property owners.

They look like a nice tough unit for sure.

I love my vt-8 Super Bronc.

It's the best riding mini I've ever been on.

It doesn't know if it's a tractor or a street bike.

I've been in mud very deep during some of the Windber deluges...just point it and go.

And out on the road, you open er up and she rolls !

My favorite mini.

My 12 year old son won't hardly get off of it so that I can ride ! Makes me smile to watch him ride it.

This is a great to hear and I had a feeling these bikes were well thought out and perform quite well.

Hahaha I like the sounds of that kinda versatility in a mini bike for sure!

I am surrounded by farm fields and large ditches so this will be perfect.

I just picked it up in Portland Michigan today and I'm super excited to start working on it and dial it in. It definitely needs some attention.