Heald VT-1 questions

Davis

I just got this heald VT-1 seems to be prity solid two speed is all there and intact I'm thinking the 5hp briggs 1970 is the original motor my question is is this bike worth restoring or put a predator in it and go? And I'm assuming a clutch cover for this is nonexistent any input would help thanks.

Sure looks like a Boonie to me too, but that rear fender is too long (wraps all the way down to the motor plate like a Heald does), and the front wheel looks too wide for a Boonie also. I have a set of forks for a VT2 and it looks real similar....Also has the front filler panel of a Bronc. I agree with Beekeeper, someone else will chime in with more experience that at least me.... either way, I'll bet that bike is kinda rare, that jackshaft setup looks kool too....Nice score....

Very nice find !!

Given that the Heald Company originated by Heathkit Employee Carl Heald purchasing the rights and such to the Heathkit mini bike line....it would not surprise me for some of the early Healds to resemble the Heathkit bikes.

I imagine Rick Chatten...resident Heald guru will be in at some point, and should be able to confirm it.

Also, Rick may know something about the clutch cover...he has created some beautiful re-pops.

Last edited:

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
very nice find !!

Given that the heald company originated by heathkit employee carl heald purchasing the rights and such to the heathkit mini bike line....it would not surprise me for some of the early healds to resemble the heathkit bikes.

I imagine rich chatten...resident heald guru will be in at some point, and should be able to confirm it.

Also, rick may know something about the clutch cover...he has created some beautiful re-pops.
robert, you are correct. Similar to the boonie but not quite the same. No shifter for the 2 speed drive line, fender, and plate behind the front wheel. All heald. Chatten does great work on his re-pops. Get them from him if you need anything.

You have a VT1. The give away is the rear fender.front tire is wider 15x6x6 Goodyear tera. No holes in side of frame for shifter. It is worth restoring. Very hard to find one this complete. I have a clutch cover for it. I would like to know what the original color is ? Could you look on underside by motor plate and frame and clean the dirt out and see what the color is.

Davis

You have a VT1. The give away is the rear fender.front tire is wider 15x6x6 Goodyear tera. No holes in side of frame for shifter. It is worth restoring. Very hard to find one this complete. I have a clutch cover for it. I would like to know what the original color is ? Could you look on underside by motor plate and frame and clean the dirt out and see what the color is.
I would be very interested in that clutch cover if it were for sale and as far as the color goes its maybe just a touch lighter than john deer green with white fenders wheels and motor and yes the frame is one inch.

Last edited: