Heald VT-10 vs VT-8 ... work and play .. 4 pics ...

A tornado went through one of our riding spots and knocked down a few trees ...

We brought out the Heathkit Hilltopper twins,

The VT-8 ... back tire pressure was 10 lbs, front was 20 lbs.

.. and the VT-1012 .. tire pressure was set to 10 lbs ..

With the Chainsaw mounted to the front rack we got into the woods and did some lumberjackin'!

The VT-10 is a very heavy bike to maneuver on the streets and in the woods. This is mostly due to the large front tire.
It goes up any hill you point it at but it does it like it is it's job and your putting in work to get it there.
You see the trailer hitch balls and the mount I made to tow with ... they work. The VT-1012 can tow a 800lb trailer easily but can be a bit squirrely when it comes to handling.
This bike was made to work ...

The VT-8 on the other hand is a freakin' riot in the woods!
The big back tire grabs and surface, the 8hp motor just keeps pulling while the small front tire is easy to maneuver. I wouldn't say you could "flick" it around but it is easy to get it to go where you point it.

This time out a 13 (?) year old boy was the rider on this bike.
He has a Puma. This bike was easy for him to ride right off the bat. He had no trouble leaving us in the dust.
He later rode my Hilltopper and said he preferred the VT-8.

Just my 2 cents ... Maybe a VT-10 with the small front tire is a hoot as well ... I think it would be.

It was a good day, finally had the time for us to get together and clear some blocked trails, it was a workout but certainly worth the effort in the end, now we can blast through the paths uninterupted!............Thanks Six for providing the minis and the chainsaw!.............Tom.

capguncowboy

Looks like a nice set up. I have a 22" mud tire bike in the garage so I understand your complaint about handling. It's fun to ride if it's a wide open space. Not so much when you have to maneuver it though.

My son and I have ridden lots of different brands, shapes, and sizes of mini-bikes and motorcycles so I believe we have a good perspective and frame of reference. Riding our newly acquired Super Bronc VT-8 on the STREET (asphalt) for the first time was a real "experience". To use a comparison, I would liken it to the handling and turning of a big logging truck, huge motor home, or large bus! After awhile, you get (somewhat) used to it. (And our bike has the smaller 18" high tire- I can only imagine how it is with the larger 21" tire!) Maybe it is kind of like the first time you tried coffee or beer. It tastes terrible the first time, however, with time it becomes an "acquired taste". Riding OFF ROAD on the other hand is an entirely different (and good) experience. These fat tired bikes are much more at home in that environment and a total BLAST to ride.
Michael

Last edited:
Sounds like cool day..my fat tire bike ain't old,but those 19s on it feel good... in sand and the loose soil..that cushy feel..and when it hooks..fun fun..