Heath Kit Boonie Bike

This bike build is what led me to finding this forum. While in search of parts this fine group of like minded enthusiasts kept coming up on my searches. I've made a couple of posts however I'd like to officially say hello to all of you fine folks and invite you to watch the progress of rebuilding this fine piece of history. My dad bought me one of these from an uncle as a father son Christmas project in the early seventies. It truly helped to teach me mechanics and riding abilities. I have been looking for A Boonie for about five years and just a few miles from my house this came up last week. Advise is welcome. If there is anyone with the front ski that moved to a warm state I'd consider it as well.
Thanks for looking - Wheel Gun
heath kit build (8).jpg heath kit build (1).jpg heath kit build (7).jpg heath kit build (3).jpg

Last edited:
Nice little toy. Welcome!
Thank you buckeye, Yesterday I exercised the credit card, with the exception of the seat covering I think I have most every part needed for the completion on its way. After building the jackshaft assembly I may have to change some sprockets to but I won't know that until the test ride. Compared to some of my other hobbies it seems somewhat economical so far. - WG

Thank you Sixpac440, I kinda think after this build the Hilltopper will be my next in line for consideration.
I had a Boonie bike .. The wife and I like to ride all sorts of terrain .. the Boonie was a bone shaker ... The Hilltopers are adult sized and suspended, a very enjoyable ride ... and I do ride hard ...

My latest toy is Dorothy, a Heald ... made for adults, suspended and in my case its a open canvas ...
You can read about it here .. it's a long thread and no where near done ...
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/projects-and-rides/143608-dorothy-heald-vt-7-goes-project.html

Have fun with your toy!!

Welcome as well WG I am not that familiar with the Boonie Bike but looks like a nice ride and a great project. Glad you found what you wanted after that long search. Good luck

Boonie progress

20170902_081349.jpg

Some progress being made. Jackshaft mock up is started. My plan is to get the bike up and running as to work the bugs out then dismantle and do the cosmetics.

20170910_074649.jpg
So I roughed in the powertrain and throttle assembly. I ordered the wrong brake cable but hooked it up as a temporary as so I could do some testing. Well I'm quite impressed. On flat ground with a little coaxing it will pull a wheelie and still goes 20.1MPH. Plenty enough for me. A few more things to fine tune then I'll pull it down for paint, fenders and guards. Hopefully the seat cover arrives soon. I'm working on a LED headlight system. It will be one that I'll have to recharge.