Heathkit boonie build

cfh

the front suspension changes things. not so much because of the shocks, but it changes the front angle of the bike. the boonies do not handle well. so some subtle changes (like front springer shock and less square front tire) helps a lot. Handlebars helped too. the torque converter is a no brainer though. you don't need the jackshaft either. just get one of those $65 series30 kits with the TC backing plate, and run the chain from the TC rear unit to the tire. that would be the easiest and give a nice performance boost.

copyman

Here is a pic of my original Boonie Bike & assembly manual. It came with a Briggs 5 HP but should be able to go with a Tecumseh engine with gas tank mounted on front side of engine. If you decide to keep 2 speed there was someone on here a while back selling new 2 speed spring for $16. Very common for spring to brake if you don't stop before shifting gears.

Attachments

Last edited:
So I’ve decided to keep the rear drum brake . my question is how do I set up the cable . When I got the bike someone along the line made it into a 1 speed direct drive and flipped the wheel. It has a piece of angle iron with adjustment barrel welded to bottom of frame where the cable was run through . It then went into the clevis and attached to brake arm. I plan to use the factory hole in frame and run cable through it . But don’t these cables come with a ball end and barrel end. I can’t get the ball through the hole . If i cut the ball off how does it attach to clevis ?

tomc

I too have Boonie that I intend to build. The rear axle nuts were loose when I got it and during the moving it the rear axle and wheel & tire fell off. That's when I realized that the sprocket could be on either side by flipping the wheel.