Hello from England... Here's my Montgomery Ward bike.

Tim G

Hello from England.

I found this forum whilst searching for information on my bike, what a great place to find!

I bought this Montgomery Ward AFH61 about 8 years ago and imported it to the Uk in the back of an old VW bus.

It came partly dismantled in boxes so I put it back together loosely and got it running. the engine sounded sweet but the wheel bearings in the rear wheel were shit to bits so I gave it to a guy I knew to see if he could match the bearing and to cut a long story short he lost it... the wheel, tyre and sprocket. Very annoying and since then it has just sat in my workshop store gathering dust(the rear wheel you see in the photos is just one I found, it is too wide so can't be used).

Anyway yesterday I was in my store and for some reason decided to drag the bike out and suddenly my interest is rekindled!

I know the exhaust is wrong and the rear mudguard is missing, Neither of these bother me too much at the moment but I would appreciate and help in finding a rear wheel or at least information on the number of teeth and supplier of a rear sprocket as i'm sure I can find a wheel that will work here in the UK. I believe the chain is a ASA 35-1, is that correct?

14856207_10153929923266319_5213866164100525368_o.jpg

Welcome aboard Tim....someone on here should have a wheel for ya . Your bike seems to be in pretty good shape, good luck to you. I have kin folks in England...Knutton I believe my Mom was from there.

Welcome. It appears that yours may have been an Alexander Reynolds built and badged to be sold in the Wards stores. Hopefully that will help with your wheel search. The steel 6" wheels turn up here from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim G

Thanks for the advice and warm welcomes...
I think it might have a non original engine as it has been moved forward an inch or so so that the tyre clears the tank. I tried to post pics earlier but the site kept crashing on my laptop. Hopefully I can tomorrow. I don't mind that the engine is non original but I would like to get it back in to the slotted mounting holes. Maybe have to raise it slightly.

Tim G

Welcome. It appears that yours may have been an Alexander Reynolds built and badged to be sold in the Wards stores. Hopefully that will help with your wheel search. The steel 6" wheels turn up here from time to time.
That is very helpful, I imaged searched it and it looks like you are right.
Thank you!

I was gonna say that frame looks like an ARCO. Same as my bike but you have better forks.
Welcome to the site, one of the best communities on the net IMHO

Welcome, Tim. I'm pretty new to this site and have already been helped by the friendly people here in many different ways. If you look around, you will see many gorgeous bikes!