Help identifying correct engine for Harrison Wildcat

I need some help from you guys that know your Harrison's. My wildcats original engine is long gone as we stupidly threw it when it failed years ago when we were kids. Now I know it was tecumseh and had a lighting coil but would it of been hs (small block) or h (big block)? Also would it of originally been fitted with a 4 or 5 hp motor? I want to restore it as close to original as possible so the more info I can find on the original spec the better. Thanks in advance guys

I'm no expert, but I thought the Harrisons came factory with the Briggs and stratton 5HP engines, with a select few fitted with Hodaka power.........................Tom.

Do you have a remote tank on the frame from the factory? Torque converter set up? We need pics or details to answer that correctly. They did come with Tec motors...but some with big blocks and some with HS motors.

Ok I will find the few pics I have of it available. (The bike is in storage at my parents place) it had a salsbury torque converter set up with Jackshaft. It definitely had a lighting Coil so pretty adamant it was a tec not a briggs. I'm pretty certain it had a steel tank mounted to the front of the engine with a bracket fixed through the head bolts. Hope this info is of some help.

Hey Cheeze, did Harrison offer lighting from the beginning of production?......If so it was most likely a Tech engine for that application, I only saw the Briggs 5 in most of the old pics............................Tom.

It was probably an HS-40
And Tom....the first couple years were Briggs only...then they went to Tecs also. The early Briggs motors used a battery kit instead of lighted motor like Tecs.

Ahh thanks for that cheezy. That's pretty much what I had come to the conclusion of from my other research. So now I guess my hunt is on to find a nice hs40 with a lighting coil... hard enough at the best of times but finding one someone will ship to the UK is going to be like trying to find a unicorn.

If it has no brace under the engine plate it is a 1970...71 they started using a L channel under there to help with the converter. Without the bracing the frames were cracking. And yes..a 70 lighted motor is tougher to find of course...lol

I'd seen that pic on here a while ago but paid no attention to the big 1970 in the corner lol. That bike is just like mine..same style tank etc. So would that of been a hs40 on that bike? Next time I'm at my parents place I will check out if it has the L bracket under the engine plate and see if I can narrow down the age even further. Cheers for all this help cheezy seems like you are the man in the know.